SLC 505 and modbus

jimtech67

Has anyone used a SLC 500 PLC to communicate over modbus ? I will be using a SLC 505. Did you do it using the processor or do I need a separate module?

Thanks

Has anyone used a SLC 500 PLC to communicate over modbus ? I will be using a SLC 505. Did you do it using the processor or do I need a separate module?

Thanks

That depends on the processor you have and how new it is, see quote below from AB knowledge.

58253 - SLC Processors that Support Modbus Protocol

Do any of the SLC processors support Modbus protocol?

In June of 2008 Series C FRN 11 was introduced for the SLC 5/03, 5/04 and 5/05 processors which added support for Modbus RTU Master capabilities on the CH0 (serial) port.
In order to support the Modbus communication capabilities RSLogix500 must be at ver 8.1 or greater.

Older processors FRN can be updated (via upgrade kit ordered from local distributors) in order to support this enhancement.
SLC5/03 upgrade kit P/N is 1747-OS302
SLC5/04 upgrade kit P/N is 1747-OS401
SLC5/05 upgrade kit P/N is 1747-DU501

Or a Prosoft module would also work.