SLC 5/04 faulted (again)

PcRider

I'm taking a class so I wanted a plc to practice on. I bought an SLC 500 10 slot rack on ebay. The guy that sold it to me claims he is sure it works. I have not been able to clear the blinking fault light. I can not get RSLogix to communicate.

I am using rslogix 5 ver3.2.
Using the Serial cable 1747-cp3
I tried the same DH+ cable that I use on a Micrologix 1000, but it won't configure itself.

I hook up the (serial) cable, power up the rack.
After start up the fault light is blinking steady.
The rs232 light is blinking intermitently, but rapidly when it does.
The DH+ light blinks occasionaly, but steady.

I am using the same comm port on the Micrologix1000, so I know it works as com1, and the speed is at its max.
In Rsinx I go into communications and choose autoconfigure.
It reports success!
Now I go to the tree view in links, and it shows the 5/04 station 01, now named default , and lists it as faulted. (I would think it would have to communicate to know its faulted?)

It looks as though it is communicating ok from here.

I go into rslogix configure a new project.
I name the processor TEST.
I use soft controller, (its either that or plc5 in this vesion) it does the rest of the settings, I have no choice except the cpu which points to the one in rslinx.

When I get into the tree view project I dbl click on SLC 500 I/O to get the configuration screen for the rack. I use the A10 rack, select use SLC I/O, and click on "read I/O config"
Now it pops up a box saying "cannot get connected to online processor"

I have tried setting the cpu to factory, using gnd-vdd. (I think thats how it got named DEFAULT.)
Switching from program to run didn't work.
I took out the memory card.
I took out all the I/O cards in case one of them was messed up.
I took out the backplane circuit board and looked it over with a magnifying glass, and found a burnt resistor. After much research I found something from AB that said it should be a 1M resistor, so I replaced it with a new one. The old one was burnt to bad to tell from it what it was.

I do not have a power supply pin out, but I found both 24 volts, and 5 volts on the connector pins.

So far none of these things has made any difference.

Does anyone have any other ideas to fix this thing?

Can anyone confirm that the backplane resistor is supposed to be 1 Meg? It is the one that goes from Logic ground to Chassis ground.

Will this software just not work with this SLC?

Thank You for taking time to read this rather long first post.

Mike B. aka PcRider

PcRider,
Ditch the RSlogix5 & get RSLogix500. RSLogix5 is for the PLC-5 line of PLC's. The RSLogix500 should be the same package you use on the MicroLogix. The blinking fault light & the name default usually are present when the processor has no program loaded. Create a new project & make sure the processor in the project is an exact match (memory capacity matters) of the one in the rack. Make one rung with a B3/0 OTE bit so that the CPU will have something to do. It should download & run. Use the Comms: system comms; menu to select the node when downloading.
BD

Thanks Bikerdude,
I have been looking for prices on RSLogix500, but it may be out of my reach. I'll keep looking, and see what I can come up with.

PcRider

PcRider,
Ditch the RSlogix5 & get RSLogix500. RSLogix5 is for the PLC-5 line of PLC's. The RSLogix500 should be the same package you use on the MicroLogix. The blinking fault light & the name default usually are present when the processor has no program loaded. Create a new project & make sure the processor in the project is an exact match (memory capacity matters) of the one in the rack. Make one rung with a B3/0 OTE bit so that the CPU will have something to do. It should download & run. Use the Comms: system comms; menu to select the node when downloading.
BD

Last edited:
PC Rider,

You can get a Micrologix off Ebay for under $100. I bought one a week ago for less than $50 with shipping. Got a cable for $16 with shipping. I bought the 1761-L16AWA. 10 inputs, 6 relay outputs. Got some pushbuttons (NO and NC) and some neon lights at Radio Shack. Bought a plastic junction box at Lowes and got it hooked up. Used the free software Mickey refers you to and off we go.

I was looking at a SLC on Ebay a month or so ago that sounds like the one you won. It sold for something like $150 which I thought was a steal for three grand worth of PLC.

I tried the same DH+ cable that I use on a Micrologix 1000, but it won't configure itself.

Hi Mike and welcome to the plctalk

Do not use the cable that you use on the MicroLogix with the 5/04 you will/can damage the CPU

If you are seeing the CPU then there is a good chance that its good and not having the correct software you just can not use it... I would suggest downloading the link that Mickey said and then getting a 1100 (after you sell the 5/04) then you can use the Ethernet also

Good luck

I agree with everyone get yourself a Micrologix off ebay a cable and download the free software.
Note however that according to what you may want to do you may consider your options in selecting your micrologix.

Number of I/O
Analogue I/O
Operating Voltage etc

Best of luck my friend

PcRider,
BD

I tried changing the settings in rslogix 5 while using the soft controller. It won't let me of course. (you probably knew that). It shows memory of 8,092,000 and won't let me change it. If I'm not mistaken, the 5/04 has a total of 64K of memory, and the M11 memory board is another 16K. Thats a total of 80K or 81920. Thats assuming the M11 is an add on, and not standard.

I'll call a dealer as soon as I get a chance, and see what the RSLogix 500 is going for, I doubt I will be able to buy it so I may be selling this thing.

Thanks again for your help,
Mike B. aka PcRider.

I tried changing the settings in rslogix 5 while using the soft controller. It won't let me of course. (you probably knew that). It shows memory of 8,092,000 and won't let me change it. If I'm not mistaken, the 5/04 has a total of 64K of memory, and the M11 memory board is another 16K. Thats a total of 80K or 81920. Thats assuming the M11 is an add on, and not standard.

I'll call a dealer as soon as I get a chance, and see what the RSLogix 500 is going for, I doubt I will be able to buy it so I may be selling this thing.

Thanks again for your help,
Mike B. aka PcRider.

RSLogix5 will only program PLC-5 controllers.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/1239760/1551229/

For the SLC 5/04 you must use RSLogix500. As others have said, you can get a stripped down version of RSLogix500 for free but it will not program the SLC models, only the micrologix line.

The M11 memory module is not an add-on, it is an EEPROM backup module that can store your program, and can be configured to load the 5/04 memory automatically.

So, you either need a micrologix that can be programmed with the free version of RSLogix500, or a licensed version of RSLogix500 that will allow you to use your much more powerful 5/04.

You do have the correct cable, and appear to have RSLinx set up correctly to communicate to the SLC, but RSLogix5 will not recognize it since it's not a PLC-5...That's why you see the comm light blinking...RSLinx is able to send and receive data when you try to go online, but the data is not useful to RSLogix5.

PcRider,
Your choices in SLC-504 models are:
1747-L541 it has 16K of memory.
1747-L542 it has 32K.
1747-L543 it has 64K.

The EEPROM memory size is not included in this.

The softcontroller I think is some kind of "Processor Emulation" device that is used for testing code out when there is no real world device.

Is it possible that your limited micrologix software package will allow you to download a file to this processor? Let me know which processor & I/O modules you have & I will makeup a program file for it. The slot position of the modules is necessary to create a working program also. I can post the file here for you to try out.

I think the MSRP for RSLogix 500 is in the $1,500 range, that is a little steep for a students budget. You could mention the fact that you are enrolled in a college class & try to get a discount on the price. Or ask the class instructor if he has a "Discounted" copy you can use temporarily.

BD

Mike,

As bikerdue says the standard version of RSLogix 500 (part number: 9324-RL0300ENE) is about $1500 (actual list price is $1280). The starter version (part number: 9324-RL0100ENE) lists for $580.00. These versions will program all SLC 500 and all MicroLogix processors. The free version of RSLogix Micro you can download will only recognize the ML 1000 and ML 1100 units. The full version will program all MicroLogix units (Part Number 9324-RLM0100ENE) and costs $129.00.

You have many options open so pick the one that is best for you.

PcRider,
Your choices in SLC-504 models are:
1747-L541 it has 16K of memory.
1747-L542 it has 32K.
1747-L543 it has 64K.

The EEPROM memory size is not included in this.

The softcontroller I think is some kind of "Processor Emulation" device that is used for testing code out when there is no real world device.

Is it possible that your limited micrologix software package will allow you to download a file to this processor? Let me know which processor & I/O modules you have & I will makeup a program file for it. The slot position of the modules is necessary to create a working program also. I can post the file here for you to try out.

I think the MSRP for RSLogix 500 is in the $1,500 range, that is a little steep for a students budget. You could mention the fact that you are enrolled in a college class & try to get a discount on the price. Or ask the class instructor if he has a "Discounted" copy you can use temporarily.

BD

I bought this thing to learn, so I'm learning. So far I know I have nothing that will program this thing. Not what I was planning to learn, but it is a lesson none the less.

Thanks for the offer BikerDude, but there is no point in writing any programs for this thing until I can come up with the RSLogix 500 software.

The RSLogix 5 software help files seemed to indicate that it could be configured to program the slc 500's. Thats what threw me off. I believe you are right the SoftController is some kind of emulation. In any event it definately cannot be configured to write programs to the slc 500's.

As for testing, I can take the whole rack to class with me tommorow, and use the school computer(s) to see if it works. Something tells me they will work just fine. While I'm at it I'll ask my instructor if he knows any way I can get the software at a discount, maybe the school can sell me a license at a discount?

I've told him about the cpu fault, he's gonna laugh at me when he finds out what software I've been trying to use.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what happens when I use the right software.

PcRider

Mike,

As bikerdue says the standard version of RSLogix 500 (part number: 9324-RL0300ENE) is about $1500 (actual list price is $1280). The starter version (part number: 9324-RL0100ENE) lists for $580.00. These versions will program all SLC 500 and all MicroLogix processors. The free version of RSLogix Micro you can download will only recognize the ML 1000 and ML 1100 units. The full version will program all MicroLogix units (Part Number 9324-RLM0100ENE) and costs $129.00.

You have many options open so pick the one that is best for you.

Thanks Philip, and thanks to everyone who has replied! I'm glad so many were willing to help! If I didn't say thanks to each one of you indivually its only because, (believe it or not) I am trying take up as little of your time as needed to understand what I'm doing here.

I'll let you all know, PcRider