HPMV lamp engergy consumption

Pramod Patil

Hi All,
Happy New Year to all of u in advance
my question is about street lamp. now we have total 200 HPMV lamp of 150 watts.we want to reduce our energy consumption of HPMV lamp without effecting light of the HPMV lamp. please give me proper solution.

Are your lamps the "pulse-start" metal halide type? These use a ballast that has two voltage levels, one to start the lamp, and the second to keep it burning once it is started. You can reduce energy consumption by reducing the start-up time, but that will only work within a certain ambient temperature range.

I suppose an all-electronic switching-transistor ballast could be made that would exactly control the ballast output voltage and current to the lowest level, based on a photo-sensor feedback that is monitioring the light output level and keeping at at the maximum level. Eventually someone will build these, and I imagine they are already in the planning stage.

The abbreviation HPMV indicates to me high pressure mercury vapor. These were widely used for streetlighting but fell out of favor because of poor color rendition.
I also believe there are better options on market for ouput vs input ie lumens out vs watts in - as example fluorescant puts out about 4 X lumens than incandescant on watt basis.

Check with Seattle Lighting Design Lab for your best options
http://www.lightingdesignlab.com/index.html

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Dear Sir.
Thank u for suggestion . Can i reduced energy consumption of HPMV lamp by reducing it supply voltage ?. if doing so shall this effect light intensity of lamp.

Dan,

I would agree that HPMV would mean a High Pressure Mercury Vapor lamp, but who knows what it means to the average guy in India?

I think that ONLY reducing the voltage will reduce the light output, and it may even reduce it to 0. The gas-discharge type of fixtures depend on having a narrow voltage output range, that is critical to producing the ionizing gas and the plasma effect. Go outside that narrow band and the light will not work at all, or will work sporadically. Recently at the office, I saw that someone had put a high-pressure sodium lamp in a metal halide fixture (slightly different voltage range). That light comes on and works for about 10 minutes, then blinks off, cools down, and repeats the cycle.

I think that if you are looking for a lamp type that can be made more efficient by changing the inputs, try a fluorescent lamp. I think those can be made to run at high frequency alternating current and thus become more efficient.

We have just installed some high bay LED lighting (Trialing), the system allows u to login and check power consumption etc. The system also allows you to setup different levels depending on the area in question i.e. If noone seen in area for xx minutes lighting level gets reduced to minimum

Nicoo,

That is very interesting. How big is each area, and what type of human sensor is used?

I have seen similar multi-level lighting systems in use in warehouses, but using metal halide fixtures. I think that the LED fixtures are eventually going to be widely used.

Nicoo,

That is very interesting. How big is each area, and what type of human sensor is used?

I have seen similar multi-level lighting systems in use in warehouses, but using metal halide fixtures. I think that the LED fixtures are eventually going to be widely used.

Sorry for the late reply Lancie1 i've been busy with a project. IIrc http://www.lowenergydesigns.com/sunray.html was one of the companies we looked at but not sure if we went with them (Info Not at hand :p)