Network without Networx??

robw53

i am setting up a couple of plc's ML1500, compact logix, PF4 and Flex I/O's, do i need the RSnetworx Ethernet to do this or can i use Boot-P or something of that nature?

Rob

I don't think the 1500 will do Ethernet I/O. I would check this out if I where you.

i will explain in better detail what i am hoping to achieve, i have a ML1500 which i have a NET-ENI to convert to ethernet, then i will patch that into a hirchmann Spider switch, and feed out to a compact logix on ethernet, flex I/O (ethernet/IP) with 2 modules, and i have a 22-xcom-dc-base with a 22-com-e ethernet adaptor to go directly to a powerflex 4. i am wanting to setup an ethernet network to communicate with all these but i just wondered if i could use boot-p to setup or would i need RS networx, i do have this at work but it would mean using there laptop at home everytime i wanted to adjust something so i thought i would see if they was another way.

i have only been doing plc's for less than 18months being only 22 and am now wanting to start doing comms so while we are on the topic of comms, i have a panelview with dh485 connector and a rs232 only for printing, what cable would i need that fits the panelview? i also have a NET-AIC could i wire it to that then use a 8pin mini din or the RS232 to connect to the RS232 on my ML1500 and still communicate via MSG to the other devices

cheers

Rob

Jeff is right about the ML1500 and Ethernet/IP. The ML1500 cannot control I/O this way. You can connect it thru the NET-ENI to an ethernet network for HMI/programming/etc.

I believe that the Compactlogix can control Ethernet/IP I/O, but you'll want I/O traffic on a separate network from your business LAN. I have seen some small systems with the I/O and HMI on the same network.

A/B has some documents with good practices for Ethernet/IP I/O (your drives and Flex I/O).

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/enet-ap001_-en-p.pdf
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/so/enet-so001_-en-e.pdf

As for the DH485 Panelview, give the whole part number. There are some with an RJ45 style connector and others with a DB9, but you should be able to connect either type to the ML1500 serial port, and configure the serial port on the ML for DH485. In most case you need at least one NET-AIC.

That will allow the comms between the panelview and the ML1500, but the panelview won't be able to directly access the other PLC, unless you put it's serial port on the same DH485 network. alternatively, you could overcome this by using messaging in the ML1500 to communicate to the other device(s) via it's 2nd comm channel...that's assuming your ML1500 has two serial ports (again, provide the whole part number).

Paul

Paul has pointed you in the right area. The PV part number will give us most all of the details that we will need to help you.

I don't use Boot-P for anything. I only use static addressing. As long as you have the correct software (RS500, RS5000, PB32, what ever drive software you choose)you should be able to do set up all the addresses that you want.

hi paul/jeff,

sorry i didn't make it too clear on my last post but the ML1500 is the LRP on DC with both the 8 pin mini din and RS232, i dont have the Part# with me but if it makes it easier i could find it when i get home.

before we go any further i thought i would mention this isn't for an install so don't worry im not trying to run before i can walk, its kit i have at home so there is no office network to contend with, i am just wanting to make a big setup at home to practice with comms and data transmission, PID etc etc.

i have drive executive for the powerflex but the 22-xcomm-base does have an assigned I/P address so do i actually need the drive software?
i do also have RS500, 5000, and PB32

yes the flex i/o can run from a compact logix we use them at work, the panelview doesn't have RJ45 just the dh485 connection and RS232 for printing only, it is the 2711-T6C3L1 model.

i know i crn't directly control the flex i/o from the 1500 i was going to use the compact to run them and use MSG from 1500 to compact to control, and then have the powerflex 4's on the ethernet so i can practice controlling them from either controller, maybe a scenario were i use the compact to drive them and the 1500 to collect data for speed reference and alarms to diplay on the panelview, just as a practice scenario???

cheers again

Rob

robw53 said:
hi paul/jeff,

sorry i didn't make it too clear on my last post but the ML1500 is the LRP on DC with both the 8 pin mini din and RS232, i dont have the Part# with me but if it makes it easier i could find it when i get home.

Nah, that's enough info.

robw53 said:
I have drive executive for the powerflex but the 22-xcomm-base does have an assigned I/P address so do i actually need the drive software?
You should be able to get drive explorer lite for free (its on about any install disk A/B ever shipped with a PF drive). You can probably get the drive set up without it, but it is a great convenience, especially since the COMM-E replaces the keypad on a PF4.
robw53 said:
The panelview doesn't have RJ45 just the dh485 connection and RS232 for printing only, it is the 2711-T6C3L1 model.

Oh, I forgot about that style connector, but the part number clears that up.

You'll need the NET-AIC, 1761-CBL-AS03 (or 1761-CBL-AS09) for the Panelview, and there are several options for the ML1500 depending on which ports you want to use. See the user manual for the ML1500 start at page 4-10.

robw53 said:
I know i crn't directly control the flex i/o from the 1500 i was going to use the compact to run them and use MSG from 1500 to compact to control, and then have the powerflex 4's on the ethernet so i can practice controlling them from either controller, maybe a scenario were i use the compact to drive them and the 1500 to collect data for speed reference and alarms to diplay on the panelview, just as a practice scenario???

cheers again

Rob

That all sounds just fine. Just be aware that if the PF4 are in the I/O tree of the Compactlogix, then you'll need to message through the Compactlogix to get the data to the ML1500 and then to the touchscreen. I don't think you can message directly from the ML1500 to the drives...but I could be proven wrong.

Sounds like an excellent exercise! You are lucky to have all of that equipment and software at your disposal.

Have fun and be safe!
Paul

Last edited:
yes i have a few powerflex CD's, one thing you mentioned about not having the keypad on the PF4 well the 22-xcomm-dc-base is a comms kit which you mount on din rail and then you fit either a 22-comm-* either Ethernet, DeviceNet, ControlNet so its a stand alone device to convert to DSI for the drive so it illiminates the need for a PF40.

i know that you can use a 1500 to run a PF4 as we have them at work using a AB adaptor alittle like the (1203-USB) used to program with drive exec but this has ethernet to DSI so it goes into the NET ENI ethernet port to the drive and then the 1500 connected to the RS232 of the ENI.

Rob

Rob I have never seen one of those adapters so it looks like an am going to have to get a new toy to play with.

Paul I hated those connectors they where always an odd ball for me. We had 75+ PV in a plant and only 2 had that connector on them. Guess what where to ones that failed? They didn’t fail because of the connection. It was the gorillas we had running around there. I never actually saw the largest of the anthropoid apes. I have only seen the aftermath of them.

jeff, there is also a RS232 version which is for programming too but also you can use it to communicate from the drive to say a ML1500 its a 22-SCM-232

Rob