hmi software preference

vf816

Does any one know if there is a hmi software out there that can be compatible across brands of hmi screen panels.allen bradley pro-face etc.And here is the kicker i would like it to be low cost.

Unless Santa Clause brought you something like that, I think you are out of luck. The closest thing would be Web bases HMIs. I haven't used one yet, but from what I have read here and elsewhere, they are slow, clunky, and buggy.
If someone knows of something like what VF816 is asking for, by all means correct me.

Stu......

the closest you will come to that will be with the old total control quickdesigner 3.7 that can be used with older versions of quickpanel and proface displays. thats the only two that it will work with.

It's on the shelf - right over there next to the software which programs all types of PLCs and only costs $19.95.

And, just for today, if you send me your bank account number, credit card number and Social Security number you'll get FREE updates each month *

* (just pay a small shipping and handling charge)

Last edited:
It's on the shelf - right over there next to the software which programs all types of PLCs and only costs $19.95.

And, just for today, if you send me your bank account number, credit card number and Social Security number you'll get FREE updates each month *

You are not fooling us! I read the small print, how much is the S&H?

Bernie my check is in the mail you can go ahead and send the next 2 years of software updates. I promise the check is good.

vf816 what you are asking for is like asking if you can get 1 computer to program any type of machine, vehicle, space ship, etc. It just doesn't happen. Would you spend years and years creating software that works good or great and then let some guy start making a HMI that could use your software for free? Just think about all the man or woman hours that it takes to build anything from scratch.

We are just having a little fun don't take anything to heart.

You are in fine form today Bernie. 🍻

Stu....

And, once you have programmed any device with our software you and your customers will have to maintain the monthly updates forever to continue to use the device.

Of course this is for no other reason but that we want to ensure that (we get the most amount of money out of you)) you have the most up-to-date and bug free versions.

As long as hardware mfgs are in the software business they will keep rafting the two together.

A certain company might become dominant if they produced a free API for development on their hardware. However, the competition might destroy them on a quality and/or price in the software arena. Vice versa with a software package that provided a software base for hardware developers to design to.

Intel builds hardware and Microsoft builds software. They both seem to make a couple bucks a year so the argument that anyone NEEDS to have control of both is questionable I recall paying $8k for two software packages so I am paying good money for software development.

"Low Cost" is subjective. You need to put a number on that.

What you want is technically already available as Factory Talk SE, RSView32, Wonderware, etc running on a PC-based touchscreen running Windows. That is the architecture you will need to look to in order to get what you are asking.

One of the reasons that the "low cost" stuff is low cost is the designers can run a little fast and loose with hardware and software. It's a dedicated device. There are no compatibility issues since the designers have full control of what is on the machine. They really have complete freedom in how the implement stuff. Once you want everyone to play nice with each other that freedom goes away.

Keith

Just trying to learn how to program.We have panelviews and proface in the plant.didn't wont to be locked in to one software because after talking to my rep, tags are very costly at Allen Bradley. so i think i will just get my info to Bernie.
ship to address IL state prison
just bill to crocked county IL
any questions call me

Hmi

I come from the cheapest penny pinching, "prove it saves money" industry. We used DDE and Excel. Once I got the PLC info into excel, I could sent it to any PC that had Internet Explorer...

Just trying to learn how to program.We have panelviews and proface in the plant.didn't wont to be locked in to one software because after talking to my rep, tags are very costly at Allen Bradley. so i think i will just get my info to Bernie.
ship to address IL state prison
just bill to crocked county IL
any questions call me
I see you have PF and PV what PVs do you have Standards, Plus, Compnent? In the AB family you have at least 3 software packages for the Panelviews. PanelBuilder32, Factory talk ME, RS View SE, The component (from what I hear) uses a built in software.

What PF do you have? I can only recall 2 of the softwares GP ProEX, and Quick Designer. I know there are more but I haven't used them so I can't be for sure what they where.

So at a Min. you will have 2 software packages.

What was your rep talking about on tags? Was it a AB rep or some other HMI rep? As far as I know the AB PVs don't use any preset tag count packages like the PC based RSView32 does.

Jeff,

If it it the "multiple" software pkg's that bother you, than maybe you can standardize on at least one platform, and then USE OPC drivers to communicate to the intended PLC's.
For example, the PV+'s ship with Kepserver with drivers for almost anything.
You can do the same with a Siemens MP370, and newer systems.
GE are doing the same thing.......hint hint....

As long as it is CE based, or newer OS, then you can use the same software for each panel, cut down on the "multiple" software sets, and teach your techs to use OPC and Kepserver.
Just thoughts....