DDE comunication between excel & intouch 9.5

yazz

Hi:
I am triying to comunicate excel &intouch, I have read the wonderware manual and a basic manual about inotuch,but, yet i do not have DDE COMUNICATION BETWEEN those PROGRAMS.o_O
Can you tell me the exactly steps to make that comunication? Please?

try this ...

first go into the InTouch tagname dictionary and create a new Memory Integer tag ... name it DATA_TO_BE_READ_BY_EXCEL ... enter 123 as an "initial value" in the tag ...

now go into Excel ... in an empty cell enter the following text:

=VIEW|TAGNAME!DATA_TO_BE_READ_BY_EXCEL

NOTE: be sure to put the equal sign in front ...

the | character right after the word "view" must be the "pipe" symbol ... you usually have to hold the Shift key and hit the "backspace" key to enter the pipe ...

the ! character right after the word "tagname" must be the exclamation point ...

note that you can't use spaces in the name of the tag – so put "underscores" instead of spaces ... note that these can NOT be "dashes" ...

depending on how you've got your InTouch system configured, the value that you entered into the DATA_TO_BE_READ_BY_EXCEL
tagname should pop up in the Excel spreadsheet ...

if it doesn't, try this ... from Excel's main menu, click "Edit" and "Links" ... make sure that "Update" is set for "Automatic" ... then click the "Update Now" button ...

if that doesn't work, post again and tell us what DOES happen – and we'll try something else ...

good luck with your project ...

Thanks Ron:
I have already done, and it was succesful¡¡¡ =)
Now I am trying to do the opposed.
Now I have to send a data from excel to a tagname in the intouch =S

Thanks Ron:
I have already done, and it was succesful¡¡¡ =)
Now I am trying to do the opposed.
Now I have to send a data from excel to a tagname in the intouch =S
You can use IO tag with DDE to send/receive data from Excel to InTouch.
Go to http://www.icsen.com/technotes/html/dde_comm.htm
Look under Step 3a to see how to do it. I did a quick test on it with some modification (because I'm using 9.0) and it works fine.

I did the following changes.
1) DDE Access name: Sheet1 (Sheet1.xls gives an invalid character error)
2) DDE Topic Name: Sheet1 (Sheet1.xls refuse to work) <-- filename without the extension??

HTH

Last edited:
Hey:
Thanks for the help, but I don´t get that yet =X
I try with this macro in excel:
PokeMacro
Channel=INITIATE("View","Tagname") {This opens a DDE channel to View}
=POKE(Channel,"Temperature1",Sheet1.xls|R1C1) {Pokes value in r1c1 of sheet1.xls into Temperature1}
=TERMINATE(Channel)
=RETURN() {End of Macro}

And give me a macro error¡¡¡ I tried with the modifications that told me mrNobody, and nothing¡¡¡¡
Help¡¡¡

sorry, I didn't try using macro so can't help u with that.

Here is what I did.

In excel
1) Open Excel program

In InTouch
1) Create Access Name with the following properties.
Access: ExcelComm (can be anything)
Application Name: Excel
Topic Name: sheet1 (name of excel sheet you want to write to/read from)
Protocol: DDE

2) Create a IO tag with the following properties
Tagname: IOTestTag
Type: I/O Integer
Access Name:ExcelComm
Item: R1C1 (1st Row & 1st Column which is A1. Can also use cell names here).

3) Create a window and create Text object using the IO tag you created before (IOTestTag). Save the window and run view.exe. Enter any value in the text control and you will see that the value will appear in cell "A1" of your excel program.

I found out that if you configure the DDE before opening the Excel, the communication between Excel and InTouch wont work. You will have to open excel and then reconfigure the access name and then it will work.. I'm not sure why tho..

This means you want to send data from excel to InTouch. Correct ?
So do this
1 Make New Tag
2 Type : I/o
3 In accessName Configuration
a Application Name : excel
a Topic Name : xyz.xls (Opened XLS sheet name
4 Item Name : R1C1 (Row1 and Column 1)