slc 5/03 online edit problem

robin01

I am trying to complete an online edit to an slc 503. when I attempt to verify the rungs I get "online edit resource cannot be obtained from processor" Any idea what could cause this, or how to fix?
Also if I attempt to do an offline edit then download to the processor I get "download failed could not get processor ownership"

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I think I've seen this error before and it was the program protect jumper on the processor.

No one else is connected to the processor remotely are they?

HI,
I don't think that "On-Line Editing" is a feature that the 5-03 has in it's operating system firmware. You need to upgrade to a 5-04 for that feature. You will have to make edits & then download the new program on a 5-03.

BD

A/B has several technotes that describe causes for this. Most of the solutions apply to ethernet SLCs and Micrologix and involve changing settings in rslinx.

One of the causes is applying write protection to the channel you are using. Look on the general tab of the channel config of the .rss file and make sure that write protection is not checked.

Another cause is the edit resource timeout. The default value is 60 seconds. It is also on the general tab of the channel config.

One more possibilty is the use of MSG instructions on that channel hogging up all the resources. Disabling any messaging during online edits may resolve this.

If this does not help, then post the exact part number and firmware revision of the CPU and tell us how you are connected. Also, the version of RSLogix500 and RSLinx might be useful.

Paul

Thanks Paul,
Checked the channel config, and write protect was checked.
I will try again after new year break and post the result.

Many thanks, and happy new year.

Robin

Write Protected

If this box is checked the channel is write-protected. Channel protection is permanent. Do not apply protection to the channel you are currently communicating through unless you never intend to alter the program again, or unless you can establish communications using the other channel.

RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002

Does this mean that i cannot reverse the write protect? what are my options, replace the memory module?

Go through the other channel...hopefully it's not write protected. I don't know if pulling the CPU and removing the battery and shorting VBB to ground will fix the protected port. There is no mention of any way to reverse channel protection in the quote from the manual.

Is there an EEPROM installed? If so, you could prepare another EEPROM using another rack and CPU, and then transfer the program to the CPU with the locked port(s).

Paul

Thanks for following up with the results. I have always wondered if the channel protection could be reversed by wiping the CPU, and now we know.

Paul

Yes,I have needed this before. When you wipe the CPU it is back to the day it was purchased. Make sure you have a copy of the program your gonna need it.