Exporting to Excel

fiveisoms

I am wanting to writea program to simply monitor maching efficiency. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this. Maybe export data into Excel?

Basically I have 24 machines on the floor. I was thinking there could be a way that if I turn on an input if a machine is running and turn off when stopped then I could somehow write the logic to monitor time input was on vs. off. I don't know how to store this data to be exported. I think I could figure out the vba in excel. Also I know RSLinx is capable of this communication, but what about lower cost plc's maybe from Automation Direct?

Basically I have 24 machines on the floor. I was thinking there could be a way that if I turn on an input if a machine is running and turn off when stopped then I could somehow write the logic to monitor time input was on vs. off. I don't know how to store this data to be exported. I think I could figure out the vba in excel. Also I know RSLinx is capable of this communication, but what about lower cost plc's maybe from Automation Direct?

Well, that is more detail, but I think OkiePC was thinking as I am that it would be nice to know what kind of PLC you are using. As in the manufacturer and model number. Programming Software you are using and Version. Communications Protocol you are using to communicate with the PLCs (i.e. Ethernet). You mentioned RSLinx, are you using AB PLCs? If so what version of RSLinx?

The answer will depend on details.

Stu.....

Sorry. AB SLC or maybe Micrologix. I have not bought anything yet but because I already have the RS Logix 500 and RSLinx Lite v. 2.31 I will most likely use and AB of some sort. I Will be communicating via Ethernet. Do I have to use a Historian?

Last edited:
RSLinx Lite cannot communicate to excel. It lacks the DDE/OPC functionality that you would need. If you buy a license for RSLinx then you will have DDE/OPC which can be used to exchange data with external applications such as excel.

There are 3rd party data servers that can do the same thing for less money. I have not used any of them, but other forum members will probably be able to talk about those.

In the Help files for RSLinx (even in the Lite version) if you search for Excel, there is information that explains how to set up the comms.

Do you have plans for an HMI? If you go with a PC based HMI it offers another method for retrieving the information.

fiveisoms -- how 'bout giving us ALL the information first. This 20-questions is going to get real old real quick... We can't read your mind. Tell us exactly what you want to do, what your existing and planned equipment is, etc. Among us, somebody here has probably already done what you want, but you need to help us help you.