Help With AIC and ML1200

Ok, I have done extensive reading on this website and in AB publications and I cannot figure this one out. I am attending school and expanding my test platform so please understand I may be overlooking something simple.

I will start out with what I have:
Micrologix 1200 serial C 1762-L24 BWA
Total Control Quickpanel QPI31200 C2PB
1761 NET AIC serial B
I have made cable HMI-CAB-C117 and verified according to Total Control communications manual. This is connected to the AIC from the Quick panel
I have purchased cable 1761-CBL-AM00 serial c. this is attached to the ML1200 and the AIC (port 2)
I have purchased cable 1747-CP3. That is attached to AIC port 1 going to my laptop.

I can connect to the ML1200 through the AIC using the DF1, DH485 driver and I can go online.

It is my understanding that DF1 is a point to point communications set up. I need everything to talk DH-485 in order to be able to have the ML1200 talk to the Quick panel and be able to go online with my laptop. That is why I purchased the AIC module.

I have changed the ML1200 from DF-1 to DH-485. I cannot see the plc anymore. I have tried 1747-PIC / AIC+ Driver and the DH485 UIC devices driver in RSlinx with no luck. The Total Control Quick panel has “PLC NOT CONNECTED (02:FF) error displayed not matter what driver or settings I use.

AB and TC documents both show a possible 3 node network where this should work. What am I doing wrong?

A side thought, would it be easier to get another AIC and set everything up for DF-1?

Thank you for any help.

With the ML1200 set up for DH485, you will need:
1. Check your PC operating system and service pack level. If you are running windows XP service pack 3 (SP3), then you will need to look here for information about rolling back a driver so that the RSLinx PIC driver can work.
2. Ensure that RSLinx is NOT running as a service. Go to your start menu, programs, Rockwell Software, RSLinx and run the program called RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel. It will tell you if RSLinx is running as a service or as an application, and proved a tickbox "Always run as a service" that needs to be unchecked in order for the PIC driver to work.
3. Stop or delete the DF1 driver in RSLinx (if there is one...it can be installed, but not running.)
4. Add a new driver of the type 1747-PIC/AIC+. You might get warnings and have to shut down and restart RSLinx. Sometimes I can add this driver and keep right on trucking. Make sure you set the baud rate the same as the ML1200 and the node number different.
5. Now you should be able to browse through that new driver and see the PLC in RSLinx even using the same serial cable that worked before with DF1.

If you actually have the 1747-UIC (USB to DH485 interface hardware) then you can try it, and it may prove more reliable than the PIC driver.

I have no experience with the 1747-UIC or the Quickpanel, but I hope this helps...
Paul

Last edited:
I cannot roll back to SP2 since XP was installed with SP3. I would have to remove the hard drive from my laptop, format it, then figure out how to make a windows xp install disk with sp2. I can do this, but I am leaving this as a last resort option.

How does the 1747-UIC work? Would i be able to it into the AIC and use a different driver?

There has to be a bettor way than running SP2.

Anyone?

HOLA...
have a problem with comunication AIC + Module, can not connect with a PC, right conectionya Cabel, please help to overcome these problems, your cooperation thank you very much

HOLA...
have a problem with comunication AIC + Module, can not connect with a PC, right conectionya Cabel, please help to overcome these problems, your cooperation thank you very much

Just a little more information would help us help you.
Whats connected to the other side of the AIC+? What protocol are you using? What cable are you using? ( catalog numbers)
Does PC have a real serial port?

windows xp SP3 and AIC issues follow up

Now that everything is working perfect, I thought I would post my findings to help others.

I have windows XP with SP3 installed. This prevented me from using the PIC driver.

I ended up purchasing an 1747-UIC to DH485 adapter from http://www.plctrainer.net for $80. It was much cheaper than AB’s and they offered a full refund. I did discover I needed the 1747-CP3 cable, attaches to the 1747 converter and the AIC serial port. The UIC driver works perfectly and lets me go online with the entire network.

I did have one issue with node addressing, AIC requires the serial port to be node 0 and my touch screen default was node 0.

I am so happy now.