Factory talk on windows xp mode, windows virtual pc on windows 7

tdwsn

HI. has anyone been able to configure a factory talk directory on the windows xp virtual pc that is available with windows 7. i keep getting a errorsaying i am running from a remote computer. thanks

Not sure about the xp user mode but it works in vm ware. I setup view se and 3 clients in vm ware for testing before install.

Make sure the xp mode and the win 7 box are configured to be on the same network.

As others have said the xp mode will not work for this as there are still some problems with comms from the virtual pc. In general microsoft is far behind and still buggy on there virtualization offerings. Get vm ware and be done with it. It works i run it in a vm everyday on a win 7 64 bit host with 8gb ram. If money is a problem then use virtual box. It works there also it has been tested and virtual box is free forget the microsoft junk.

Factory Talk

I have a lic dongle that works on the USB port. Does Virtual box and VM Ware recognize usb dongle.

Tdwsn,

Completely by accident I have been able to get the Factory Talk Directory Configuration wizard to run under Windows XP Mode, in windows 7.
All that is required is to turn off integration features in XPmode while you run the wizard, ie: Tools-> Disable Integration Features.
Then run the wizard.
When your done turn the integration features back on, and you're good to go

Tdwsn,

Completely by accident I have been able to get the Factory Talk Directory Configuration wizard to run under Windows XP Mode, in windows 7.
All that is required is to turn off integration features in XPmode while you run the wizard, ie: Tools-> Disable Integration Features.
Then run the wizard.
When your done turn the integration features back on, and you're good to go

Wow, thanks for updating this thread.

I spent some time in the past trying to get Virtual PC to work with no success and ended up using VitrualBox. This is good to know.

I'm fighting this same fight, from what I can tell when integration features (wow that's kinda ironic) is enabled, you are actually remote desktop'ed into the virtual machine. This seems cause most of the problems I'm finding. Notice when the integration feature is enabled you can't turn on 32-bit colour.

For just a single PC, is VMWare free?

@BillRobinson you can have VMWare Player for free but the XP has to be Licensed.

I spent days over x-mas setting up my new W7 laptop using XP Mode and in the end once everything was installed I found lots of license problems and confusion with RSLinx. VMWare is proven and very reliable.

I wish I had taken the advise given to me - dont waste your time with XP Mode, sounds good - wont work. VMWare it.

I am also creating images for VirtualPC within windows 7. So far the only problem I had was with the "Integration Features". Once turned off everything functions as I would expect. Can even see RSLinx in the system tray. No licenseing issues, all programs run as expected.

There does seem to be lag that occurs for an unknown reason. So I'm not sure how to get the best performance out of it. I have used VMware and would like to go back to it, however I need to justify it. Player is free, but you still need to pay for workstation to create/edit your Virtual Machines.