Series 1 battery.

george73

I'm changing batteries on several of our GE series 1 controllers. Is there a capacitor backup on these cards to hold the program when you disconnect the old battery? Or is it necessary to get online with it and backup the program then download it back in when you've installed the new battery? Thanks.

You should have a back up anyway... just incase

Also can you leave it powered up when changing the battery?

The battery is on the plc card. The card needs to be removed from the rack to change the battery.

I do not know a lot about the Series 1... but I would thinkg that its a safe bet to say that you would be OK

That said.... I would never do it unless I had the program backed up and then if needed I would download the program if it was lost

Make a backup and be fast on the battery. My experience with these shows that they vary greatly in quality and manufacture. Some GE Series 1 models were made by Automation Direct and sold as their product, just FYI. Typically the GE products are nice to deal with; I would definitely use Proficy on this series, it does work, and is much, much cleaner and quicker than LM90.

Be aware that screwy old PLCs are almost as screwy as some of us older programmers!

I'm looking at a Series One card right now. There is a capacitor right next to the battery. According to the manual there is sufficient capacitance to maintain memory for 20 minutes without the battery, but I would recommend making the switch as rapidly as possible. Definitely back up the program first. The battery is secured by wire ties so have a pair of small cutters and two 3/32" x 4" wire ties handy, otherwise you'll find yourself scrambling for parts at the moment you need them most.

BTW, I believe that you can use Automation Direct programming software and a comm adaptor from them for accessing the program using a Windoze computer, the GE Series One was actually made by Koyo. If you have several Series Ones it might be worth it. (I don't think LM90 or Proficy work with the Series One)

Last edited:
The AD software and DCU will only work for certain units. It has been to long to and too many cold beers ago. Call Automation Direct and talk to the 305 guys they still have a few GE guys there. Or you can call Qualitrol (800) 784-9385 they have the support contract for the Series one, Jr. and the plus families.

When you start getting problem that are intermittent change the power supply out. The old GE and some of the early AD stuff had problems with capacitors on the boards. From what I remember it was about 10 years of service when they started failing. Again it was more than a day or two ago.

Get backups, get backups and get backups. Oh yea did I mention to get a backup of these applications?

If I remember right the book states 3 min. on the Battery change.
Also on the DCU Jeff is Correct Part # having 105 and 106's These will be Series One + If I remember right.
Need anything out of the Book let me know I'll dig it out! LOL

If you have the hand held programmer for the CPU you can use a tape recorder to back it up. It uses an audio cable with a 330 ohm resistor across one of the 1/4" plug terminals. I do not remember the keystrokes on the programmer but have the manual if you have questions.

I did this once while upgrading a Series One CPU to a AD D3-340 CPU. Just recorded it then played back to the new CPU without a DCU, Also was going to try to save it to a .wav file but never got around to it.

I have most of this stuff in a box back in the office.
*> The GE software is "LogicMaster One" L1PC.bat (or LM Family L1FPC.bat)
*> Neither LM90 or VersaPro, or Proficy ME will work.
*> The audio port on the HHP is 1/8 inch jack, I have used a 3.5 MM.
*> You will need a "real good" audio grade tape, they are hard to find now that CDs have taken over, I used a micro cassette at one time.
*> You should 3 minutes or more to change the battery, but use good static protection and do make a backup first.
*> Only problem with these things is that when properly implemented they last so long that no one remembers how to use them when they do need attention.
*> I believe that there is a manual online either here or at MrPLC.
*> There is software available to convert logic to GE 90-30 PLC also.

We took our last Series One out of service about a year ago. For some silly nostalgic reasons I still have the processor card for it, although the rest of it was tossed long ago.

Always make sure you backup the CPU program with the portable programmer. And make multiple backups. And print it out too if you have the printer adapter unit. Tape is ok if you have a quality tape and recorder. I used a $59 Sony handheld voice recorder that makes mp3 files and it is great. Mp3 files are easy to save in several secure locations. Warning: To avoid program loss make sure the power supply cover screws to the right of the CPU are down snug before plugging the Portable Programmer. If the Programmer is held away by the screws the connection may be intermittent and you can lose the program in your CPU CMOS! Big problem if you don't already have a backup tape, mp3 recording or printout!

I found the 300 page manual for the GE Series One is on the *********.com site.