Trying to understand the 1771-IJ encoder/counter card

mutabi

Hey guys, trying to learn a bit about how to interface an encoder, into a PLC 5. The program is already written and works.....I just dont know how. I can post the relevant sections of the program tonight. I dont have the program on this laptop.

Here is my understanding so far. As the encoder turns, it sends a signal of pulses on channel A back to the encoder/counter module(1771-IJ). I dont think I have to/want to worry about channel B yet.

Now, in the program, ultimately I end up with the encoder count, in a floating point location. My aim here is to figure out how. No block transfer is used. Instead, it appears that inputs e.g. I:000/0, I:000/1 thru I:000/15 are used to turn on integer bits (e.g N:7/1). Some how these inputs are coming from the encoder/counter card and I dont know how or what they represent. I know I am being vague and I apologise. I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. If all this is confusing, I will post the program tonight.

Thanks guys

DId you get the manual for this card? It has a OK sample program in the back of the book.

Use the Literature Library from AB.com. Then on the right hand side under keyword type in IJ UM. You can type out the 1771 IJ if you want I am just to lazy. The UM is for User Manual. and the second result is this. Read it over then get back to me on it.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff. For some reason I thought I already had that PDF but this version is different. I glanced through it, and believe it will answer my questions. Unfortunately the example I am interested in is for a PLC 2. But I reckon I can figure that part out, and it is a bit clearer now. Will read it more thoroughly tonight.
Thanks for your help.

NO problem I haven't used any 2 so I may be able to learn something new on this one.