Is it safe to have a plc and power supply inside wood box

Wood would be better then nothing (leaving it exposed), but metal is better.

Although, I don't think this applies to 99.9% of installations that are in industrial locations which are required by law to use locking metal enclosures for any power equipment.

If this was a home project and you had to or wanted to use wood, I would line it with fire rated sheetrock on the inside.

Actually, I just wouldn't use wood, but I'm not you.

It is best to keep combustibles away from where a fire could start if the equiptment fails. Perhaps you could put the devices in a fiberglass or metal enclosure first then enclose everything inside the wooden cabinet. Be sure to ventilate or size it properly for heat dissipation.

Wood would be better then nothing (leaving it exposed), but metal is better.

Although, I don't think this applies to 99.9% of installations that are in industrial locations which are required by law to use locking metal enclosures for any power equipment.

If this was a home project and you had to or wanted to use wood, I would line it with fire rated sheetrock on the inside.

Actually, I just wouldn't use wood, but I'm not you.

Wood has wonderful uses:

clip_image001.jpg

I would like to see the citation that says power supplies must be lockable. Hot front switchgear oh yes.

It was stated
"It is best to keep combustibles away from where a fire could start if the equiptment fails. Perhaps you could put the devices in a fiberglass or metal enclosure first then enclose everything inside the wooden cabinet."

Well we have had several boat fires at marina - fiberglass burns quite well.

If you have a failure that is sufficient to catch a wood enclosure on fire it for sure indicates you did not design correctly - forgot fuses etc?

I think the main consideration is what is the power level of stuff in box. 1 w who cares 1kW hmm 10 kW maybe not 100 Kw I dont think I would do it.

Another consideration wood is a good insulater so that is good for electrical safety but would be bad from the standpoint of cooling components inside.

Dan Bentler