panelview 550 connections

cjkane2005

I have a panelview 550 CAT. 2711-B5A2 I am trying to get online with. I am using a laptop with no serial port. I have rslinx lite. Also I want to link this to an SLC 5/03 and then after all of this is done I want to get the panelview and the SLC on ethernet. Anybody know how to go about doing any of this? I am new to the older AB stuff.

I have a panelview 550 CAT. 2711-B5A2 I am trying to get online with. I am using a laptop with no serial port. I have rslinx lite. Also I want to link this to an SLC 5/03 and then after all of this is done I want to get the panelview and the SLC on ethernet. Anybody know how to go about doing any of this? I am new to the older AB stuff.

Your PanelView supports DH485 protocol. Without a real serial port on your PC you will need a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) or a memory card to upload/download a program to the PanelView. ( see PDF below for info on the 1747-UIC).
Another solution is to use the passthru configuration with the SLC5/03's serial port DF1 to DH845 passthru. ( see pdf below for more info on this.

Connecting your SLC5/03 to a PV that supports DH485 by way of ethernet you will need some extra hardware. See one possible solution at link below $$$. Your best bet here is to get a PV that supports ethernet and a 1761-net-ENI module ( Ethernet Interface) for the SLC5/03's serial port.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

http://www.factorycomm.com/dl4500ed...485+ethernet&gclid=CMKQ0bzOnJ8CFQoiagodLEbnWQ

Last edited:
I ordered a SLC 5/05 and a ethernet capable panelview. Seemed to make a lot more sense. Also using the stepforward program from AB so the cost wasn't much more than having to install and stock all of the converters. Thanks for the help