Micrologix 1000 compiler error

CevinMoses

I am having difficulty reading the program from a Micrologix 1000 control.

We recently purchased a machine at auction which uses three MicroLogix 1000 controls. We have used many SLC500s in the shop, so we have some familiarity with how to connect and program them.

I only have a printed copy of the original programs from 10 years ago, so without connecting to the PLC, I have no way of verifying that it's still accurate, much less troubleshoot any problems in the future.

I have been using a 1761-CBL-PM02 to connect. I have used different laptops with both native serial ports and USB to serial adapters. I have used RSLogix 6.10.00, 6.20.00, and the newest RSLogix Micro Starter, and have received the same response every time.

After I establish the connection protocol through RSLinx, I try to go online with RSLogix. Since the laptop doesn't have a copy of the program, I tell it to create a new file. It begins the connection and goes through the following:
Reading Directory Image
Reading in Executable Files
Reading in I/O Tables
Reading in Data Tables
Reading in Internal Files
Operation Complete!

Then another window pops up that says:
Upload Failed!
Unknown compiler error
Unknown compiler error

I called the company that built that machine originally to verify what program they may have used to program it and they told me that they use the handheld programing devices and don't use RSLogix at all. I have no idea what versions of software or firmware the handheld may have had, if there have been different versions on that end.

Could that be the issue? Would a program written with a handheld not compile properly in RSLogix, or is it something else?

Thanks,
Cevin

The handheld programmer would have used a compiler similar to the one in APS 6.0, so it's possible that it inadvertently set a feature or status element that's not supported by RSLogix 500 for the MicroLogix 1000.

There is an uploader utility described in RA Knowledgebase document 43708 that might also do the job; it's essentially just the uploader from AI-500.

The handheld programmer was clumsy and largely superseded by AI-500 in DOS in the mid- 1990's; I'm impressed somebody still uses it.

I am not familiar with APS 6.0. I'll have to do some research on it before I can do anything. Using just a utility would be nice, but I am waiting on my support contract to be renewed so that I can see the knowledgebase article.

I found a hand-held on eBay for $50, and if I can use it to at least verify the program, then I may just rewrite it in RSLogix.

There's a real good chance that the program is gone if the controller has been unpowered for very long...

MicroLogix 1000 has a nonvolatile RAM that will hold the program essentially forever.

If you need a Knowledgebase article, PM me on the Forum. I'll throw in a lecture on the value of TechConnect, but that's a small price to pay. 👨🏻‍🏫

There's a real good chance that the program is gone if the controller has been unpowered for very long...

The machine seems to operate fine, with all 3 programs/PLCs running properly. I just don't like running a program I can't see and can't troubleshoot, much less change. We've talked about stripping out portions of it to make it a little simpler.

You may need RSLogix 500 version 7.x as I had the same situation 2 years ago when trying to use v4.5 on a rev. C MicroLogix 1500 controller.

So take a look at the sticker on it to get the exact model # and firmware rev. and go from there.