FactoryTalk Alarms

consol

Hi,
How do you suppress or disable a tags alarm from a macro or VBA?
I need to disable alarms for a particular cell on a machine when the cell is not in use.
Thanks,
Tim

A little more information will be needed to get a good answer.

What kind of PLC? Are you talking about alarms you have programmed in the PLC logic? Are you refering to HMI (touch screen) built-in alarms?

PLC: CompactLogix
SW:RSLogix5000 16
HMI:FactoryTalk SE

The tag is from the PLC but is not a Logix alarm tag.
Changing the PLC logic to use the Logix alarm tags is not an option at this point.

Thanks for any help.
Tim

It seems to me that you should have a tag that shows the cell is in use, for example maybe something like: OP10_AutoCyle, or something.

You could just insert this tag in front of the logic for the alarms you want to disable.

So if the autocycle bit is not ON then the alarms can not trigger.

If you want to do it from the VB, then just create a tag that the vb can control and put it in the alarm logic.

Does this make sense for your situation?

I understand what you're saying, but I can't modify the PLC logic at this time.
I need to do this at the HMI.
Something similar to Wonderware's Alarm.enable bit.

Thanks,
Tim

You could create an Events-file, with one event for SuppressOn [alarmname] and one for SuppressOff [alarmname] for the condidtions you need. (Remeber to actually start the events file too (I usually start them with a startup macro).

/Andreas

Hi Andreas,
This looks to be the best solution but I can't get the SuppressOn to work correctly.

It generates the following error:
"The SuppressOn command failed. No Alarmable Tags matched"

I suspect it's a syntax problem.

Do you have any example of referencing the Alarmable tag with SuppressOn? The help file is a bit vague.

Thanks for any help.
Tim

Hi Tim,

Take a look at the screen captures I have attached. While I did this in a button the format should be the same. In the first example I used a FTVew SE (Local) application. You can see the command 'SuppressOn' followed by the shortcut in square brackets followed by the tag name.

The second example uses a Networked application. The only differnce in this case it the inclusion of the HMI Area.

Hope this helps.

Dave

try to suppress it in macros. create a new macro file in logic and control/macros if you don't want to mix it with others.
in the macro file, use command: suppresson {::[shortcut name]tagname}

I haven't experimented with this feature but where you declare the alarm triggers in FactoryTalk View, you can use an expression instead of just a straight tag. So if you have a bit that indicates if the machine is active/not_active, you can use that tag in a if..then..else statement that would use, or not use, the alarm trigger assigned to your faults that you are trying to disable.

If you still need suppress-syntax:
To suppress the alarm Alarms\Alarm1:
SuppressOn Alarms\Alarm1
To suppress all alarms in The folder Faults:
SuppressOn Faults\*
To suppress all alarms:
SuppressOn *

/Andreas Gunnarsson