Learning about LOGIX5561 proc & 1756ENBT Ethernet module

Hi all,

After several years away from PLC programming (FANUC 90s and SLC5), I've been given a chance to get back into the swing of things. I think I picked a whale of a project, here, but I've been reading up as much as possible through the various online manuals. However, I've not been able to determine an answer to this:

When I first go to configure the PLC I have (LOGIX5561), can I only use the RS232 port, or is it possible to configure the entire PLC via the Ethernet module and not have to worry about the serial port at all?

Shall I also assume that there are certain maintenance features that can only be accessed via the RS232 port?

Thank you all for any advice.

What I do is connect to the virgin CPU/Rack/Ethernet module via the RS232 port on the processor with RSLinx. Using RSLInx, You can work your way through the connection tree to the Ethernet module and then configure the ethernet port with your chosen connection parameters (DHCP=no, IP address, and Subnet mask). Cycle the power to the rack (not sure this is necessary) and connect to the Ethernet module with a RSLinx Ehternet driver and now you can download firmware, your program to the CPU and whatever else you need. Hope that helps.

Use Ethernet for everything

There is no need to use the serial port at all. Use the Bootp utility to set the IP address in the ENBT module and do everything through the ethernet connection. There is nothing you can do with the serial port that cannot be done through the ethernet port. The ethernet port is much faster, especially for flashing the processor firmware.

Thank you both for your replies.

Vic, I know you stated there's no need to use the serial port at all, but if you don't mind clarifying: Even on a virgin system (i've yet to even power this rack up), all access can be done through the Ethernet port once I've set up the IP information using BOOTP, correcIt? t looks like I may have spent $12 on a USB-to-Serial port adapter for nothing. :)

Thanks in advance for your patience if you end up reiterating what you just said. I would like to make absolutely sure before I attempt to configure the PLC.

Yes, what I said previously is correct. I have done it many times.
Set the IP address in the ENBT module with Bootp. Be sure to disable Bootp after setting the address or the IP address will be lost when the power is shut off. Set up the Ethernet IP driver in RSLink and expand the Ethernet driver on the tree in the left pane. You should see the ENBT module and expanding the module you should see the backplane. Expanding the Backplane you should see the processor and the other modules. If the processor has never been run, you will have to download the correct version of the processor firmware using the ControlFlash utility in RSLogix 5000. It is found in the Tools menu.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help Vic. Between your posts and the user guides, I've gotten past the first of my challenges. :)

Now I need to figure out how to get my basic panel that I've designed in FT into a PanelView 1500 plus. I gotta believe that is simple, just matter of figuring out how to get it in there.