AB CompactLogix to Lincoln welder over DNET

utlx

I have a new project that uses a Lincoln PowerWave 1000 AC/DC welder and a Allen Bradley CompactLogix to control a manipulator. On all of our current applications we use the Lincoln PF10A user interface to control the welder but I would like to do away with it and control the welder thru the PLC over DeviceNet as this is an option. Anyone have experience using this setup?

Never done that. DNet is as Ken Roach would say " like swimming for the first time, If no body shows you how you just kind of flop around and almost drownd" I ASSuME the lincon adapter adapter is well documented. If that is the case you should be able to set this up relatively straight forward.

You said manipulator what type of system are you using? (ABB, Motoman,etc.) Does it not have the weld control option available? I always likes to play with the Monoman controls. Those where OK even for a old hand welding guy like myself.

The manipulators are made by Panjiris and are controlled by the Allen Bradley PLC. It is a very simple system. I am just not familiar with using device net. Everything else here is Enet or Controlnet. I do have the option of using the PF10A user interface for controlling the welder but would rather use the PLC for a cleaner install.

Do you have the part number for the DNet adapter?
The Power Wave also looks to have Ethernet. Does your unit have this option if so does it do Ethernet I/P? If so this wshould be a breeze to setup

Last edited:
Allen Bradley 1769-SDN/B to a Lincoln K2282-1 Powerwave Interface Module. The welder does have Enet but it is for monitoring and machine settings. DeviceNet has to be used for machine control.

You can download the manual for this board by going to Powerwavesoftware.com register and download the Utilities install it and open the manuals. I made a few calls to some of the guys I know and they are doing some research to see if you can use Ethernet I/P. The FANUC R-J3iB can talk to the controller over Ethernet so I think they are Ethernet I/P masters just the same as AB plc. They gurus should be getting back to me later on today. When they do I will let you know what the verdict is.

I am NOT trying to put you down or discourage you. This is not a sales pitch. This looks like it may be a good job for a DeviceNet expert to help you out on this. You maybe overwelmed with all the stuff that needs to happen to make this run.

I appreciate you help on this and I would much rather use Enet but from the info I have it is going to have to be DeviceNet. It will be a learning experience for sure.

Not a problem I will try to point you in the correct direction.

There are several DeviceNet to Ethernet I/P bridges out there that you could use to get it on EIP. Just a thought