Wireless Transmission over 100 kms

raul_vaze

I need to transfer some analog values from PLC(Control logix L61 series , having 1756-CNBR , 1756-ENBT in its 7 slot rack)to a remote location around 100 kms apart . I need to display these signals in PC . What are my options ??? Can i go over GSM techonology or GPRS . Can i also have Radio frequency units to transfer the signals from PLC to remote stations???

Can somebody please help me in it???

Thanks in advance.

None of the license-free radios will have enough range for that, plus the antenna tower would have to be about the same height as the tallest building in the world.

I would recommend GSM or GPRS depending on which one you have available at both ends.

None of the license-free radios will have enough range for that, plus the antenna tower would have to be about the same height as the tallest building in the world.

I would recommend GSM or GPRS depending on which one you have available at both ends.

Thanks Steve ,

Does GSM or GPRS both type require SIM card ??? Do i need to have GSM modem at both end ... sorry but i am really new to this things.

SteveMaves said:
ROTFLMAO. SteveMaves, you clearly have no clue about radio transmission, do you? I have made connections over HAM radio in the 144MHz band over 100km with only 5Watts of power and an antenna of a little over 5m long (for the HAMs here, it's a 3 * 5/8 colinear antenna Diamond XR-510) with it's base 9m high. The connection wasn't easy, but it worked. The tallest building in the world is 818m high, which is a little bit higher than my rig.

Regards,

ROTFLMAO. SteveMaves, you clearly have no clue about radio transmission, do you? I have made connections over HAM radio in the 144MHz band over 100km with only 5Watts of power and an antenna of a little over 5m long (for the HAMs here, it's a 3 * 5/8 colinear antenna Diamond XR-510) with it's base 9m high. The connection wasn't easy, but it worked. The tallest building in the world is 818m high, which is a little bit higher than my rig.

Regards,

Its good that you can DX people on 2meters, but for industrial I/O - such connections are just too unreliable. I'd be surprised if any manuf. would make something that could guarantee connectivity at such a distance with any kind of reliability ("you can connect great at night when sunspots are up...")

That Phoenix contact page link is a good option. Something else to consider would be to put a PC and wireless modem on each end and transfer your data through normal ethernet/TCP-IP/VPN. This would allow you a LOT of expansion in later years without messing with new hardware. (you'd just route all your new signals through the computer...). If there is more than IO at your remote location, having a computer there might help in other ways (post up on plctalk.net from the remote site =)

A few nice white papers on that Phoenix Contact site - good reading.

-John

raul_vaze, you will need a GSM / GPRS modem on both ends, you should contact your local wireless carriers, as not all products are avaliable in all countries. ndzied1's suggestion is a good product, but it just depends on what you can get in Mumbai. The radios have to be certified by the wireless carrier, at least in the US.

jvdcande, you need to read my post more carefully. I mentioned license free radios because I don't think the OP is going to want to deal with licensing. In most of the world equipment is avaliable using 2.4 GHz equipment, which requires line of sight. In order to get line of sight at 100 Kilometers, you have to have one end of the link up a 800 Meter tall tower because of the curvature of the earth. I am aware of tropospheric effects like skip that allow non line of sight connections on other frequencies, it's just not relevant to the OP.

nonuke is right, the OP says that only one end is remote. If both ends were remote, then you might need cellular on both ends, as it is, save money and use the Internet where it is available.

I haven't used one recently but I was involved in a project where we went 90 km with spread spectrum wireless using one as a repeater, I think it was Data-Link

Hi nonuke ,

Thanks a lot for the diagram. Now we have Mobile service provider which has by default 3G network on it .So my question is
1.Can i use that SIM card directly into the GSM modem ???
2.How can i directly access the data from the modem which has 3G enabled SIM card in it. Does it have a IP address which i need to access whenever i am connected to the Internet or how can we go ahead .. pls help i am really stuck as i am really new to this kind of stufff...

Thanks + Regards

Rahul

You don't need GSM on both sides.
This is what we use.