Unreferenced Powersupply and RS485 network

Surge

S
Hello ,
I power RS485 from an Isolated power supply which is not referenced to the Earth ground. I use the same ground return wire from each node as my supply. I want to know if the communication will run smoothly without any reference to the ground. I have no galvanic Isolation here as I think there is no need for it as I have no different ground connections I run a GND cable to each node along with the twisted pair +Rs485 ,-Rs485 .I want to ask will MAX485 work well in this application .I have a network length of approximately 100 Feet .I do someting wrong kindly letme know .

Warm Regards

RS485 should work without common ground, just by differential signal +/-. Don't forget terminator resistors!!
It will be better if you use "E" version MAX485E - it has ESD protection.
MAX485E is rated up to 2.5Mbps on much longer distances.
Depending on you application you may use MAX481E, 483E, 485E, 487E.

Just want to add:
Profibus is an example of RS485 hardware and it uses 2 -wire connection without common.
Also look at MAX3088E: it works up to 10Mb
MAX3088 pdf

Hi Contr_Conn ,

Thanks for MAX485E . I will use proper termination resistances . Please tell me is there any requirement of the third conductor wire GND along with +485, -485 twisted pair wire . I wanna know about ground to ground potential that may develop between the two nodes grounds and will this be in a safe limit if we measure it in the 100 Feet run cable . I also want to know should I tie the chassis ground and the shield ground to the circuit Electical ground as the reference from Earth Ground is missing .

Thanks

I am sure, that you don't have to run a signal ground (GND) along with tisted pair differential signals.
You should terminate shield to the chassis ground on both(!) ends.

I think there is a requirement to potntial equalisation wire between devices in some cases (16 mm sq). But it shuld be run separately.

I am not sure if you have to ground a common wire (GND) of each PS to the chassis.
Look at Profibus-DP requirements, it is a true RS-485 line.
Give me your email and I will send you PDF file I have.

Hi,
Please send me any info to [email protected]
You said " You should terminate shield to the chassis ground on both(!) ends "

Should I tie the Electrical ground to it .My application doesnt have a Earth Ground it is totally floating .

thanks

Why no earth ground

There is no ground connection if it doesnt do anything, EARTH is ground.

How do you ground without a ground connection..ie earth?

Personally I think its better to use either optic or galvanic isolation BUT you have to have an earth ground.