Compactlogix Firmware Upgrade Faults

Fourpaw

Fellas...

Have a CompactLogix 1769-L30 5330 processor and I want to add a 1769-SDN/B to the rack. 1769-L30 processor is running v11.20 firmware. Trying to upgrade to v12.13 so that the 1769-SDN/B shows up in the New Module Configuration Box. (If I use a Generic Module from v11.20 I cannot configure tags as DINT, only INT)

As soon as I begin to transfer firmware upgrade the processor faults out (flashing red) and the program is erased.

PLC is in rem program mode and DH485 cable to panelview is disconnected when I am making the attempts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

A firmware upgrade will erase the program. I don't recall if te red light flashes all the time or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Did the firmware progress bar stop or something? Using the serial cable, a firmware upgrade takes about a half hour to complete...

Have you checked that your processor will run V12 firmware? It seems to me I remember the 1769-L30 processor is one of the "orphan" processors that has been discontinued and it's firmware frozen at the last available rev.

Yes the L30 is obsolete, but the last rev was v13.

Anyway, I'll grab an L32 from an unused machine that already has v16.

Still, if anyone has ideas on the L30 it'd be appreciated.

So I converted the L30 v11 project to L32E v16. Downloaded to the L32E controller and all was grand. Then I looked at my Panelview 600 and I'm getting the error 683 file not found. Put the L30 processor back in and PV comms return. Working through what is happening if anyone can enlighten me it'd be appreciated.