Help selecting a plc

fireball1331

I am very new to PLC's and i need help selecting one. I've done a lot of microcontroller projects using mostly C and assembly programming. Obviously it's more advanced to some extent and i hate to sound stupid but PLC's seem complicated to me. Especially selecting and purchasing them.

I need one that is most intuitive to program and wire - 12-24v supply.

Here's the specs i require:
at least
-5 digital inputs
-1 high speed pulsing output for stepper motor drive
-4 regular outputs
-some super basic HMI (optional - i can resort to switches and lights on the imputs.)

Obviously the more the merrier, but those are my minimum requirements and my budget is $200.

My application is... stepper motor pulls 1 metal strap off a coil, PLC counts steps for 1 of 3 user selectable lengths stops stepper motor send signal to cut.
I need it to cut lots of 100 when tray is full then wait for user to change tray and start again for the next 100.

Please help me select a PLC that is available to purchase online or pick up from brisbane in Australia, or online from overseas somewhere that ships to Australia.

please post links and suggest ideas.
Thank you.

How fast does your high speed pulsing output have to be (ms)?

Is that $200 just for the PLC or the entire project?

I'd be surprised if you can find a new PLC that will drive your motor for $200.

I would use an Allen Bradley MicroLogix1200 with the PTO (Pulse Train Output).

It is like a PLC with a built-in stepper controller. But...you still need a driver card for your stepper.

If your on a tight budget, it is possible to build your own driver (not easy).

Assuming you already have the programming software (RSLogix500), I would estimate the integration cost at.....drum roll please.......+$1000US (PLC, driver, and motor only. Does not include mechanical components)

I don't want to crush your inventive spirit, but attempting this for $200 seems quite unreasonable.

To get into the $200 range, you would be talking basic relay logic with manual length stops and switches to trigger the shear.

I am very new to PLC's and i need help selecting one. I've done a lot of microcontroller projects using mostly C and assembly programming. Obviously it's more advanced to some extent and i hate to sound stupid but PLC's seem complicated to me. Especially selecting and purchasing them.

I need one that is most intuitive to program and wire - 12-24v supply.

Here's the specs i require:
at least
-5 digital inputs
-1 high speed pulsing output for stepper motor drive
-4 regular outputs
-some super basic HMI (optional - i can resort to switches and lights on the imputs.)

Obviously the more the merrier, but those are my minimum requirements and my budget is $200.

My application is... stepper motor pulls 1 metal strap off a coil, PLC counts steps for 1 of 3 user selectable lengths stops stepper motor send signal to cut.
I need it to cut lots of 100 when tray is full then wait for user to change tray and start again for the next 100.

Please help me select a PLC that is available to purchase online or pick up from brisbane in Australia, or online from overseas somewhere that ships to Australia.

please post links and suggest ideas.
Thank you.
Horner XLe.
LCD display, 10 function buttons can be used as Push Buttons as well, Numeric input, 8 DC inuts 4 High Speed Inputs that can be used for Totalizer, pulse, rate or quad, 12 outputs (relay or DC, 2 of them can be PWM outputs plus Analog inputs and outputs.
Software is free!
Around 300.00 or so US.
http://www.heapg.com/

And even better:
Horner Australia Pty Ltd
Unit 15
104 Ferntree Gully Road
Oakleigh Victoria 3166
Tel: 03 9544 0733
Fax: 03 9544 0977
Email: [email protected]

I have used the Moeller/Eaton Easy 800 series smart relay to send pulse trains to a stepper driver. You need the DC/Transistor version to get the high speed output. With the screen the part number is EZ821-DC-TC

The function block for generating stepper moves it called PO for Pulse Output. You can find more information on it here:
ftp://ftp.moeller.net/EASY/HTML-HELP/HelpG/Eigenschaftsfelder/FB_EASY800_MFD/FbImpA.htm

Also note that the early versions of the Easy 800 (pre hardware version 07) did not have this capability buy anything new would. I mention this so if you try to buy an old one from an auction site you should check the hardware version so you know it will do what you want.

There is basic information on programming easy relays here:
http://www.trainingscenter.moeller.net/basics.html

This same device is labeled by Moeller, Eaton, & Allen Bradley (as the Pico).

And like the others say, you will need a driver for the stepper motor.

I would recommend the T100MD888+ PLC from Triangle research. It is priced at $198.00 and has the following specs.

8 Digital Outputs
includes 2 x PWM 10A @24VDC,
include 2 x stepper motor pulse outputs.

8 Digital Inputs (24V NPN)
include special inputs such as
interrupts, high speed encoder, etc.
Expandable using EXP4040 and EXP1616R.

The software costs around $79.00. You can ladder logic and also use basic code in custom functions. Since you are used to C this may be an advantage for you.

http://www.tri-plc.com/t100md.htm

How fast does your high speed pulsing output have to be (ms)?

Is that $200 just for the PLC or the entire project?

I'd be surprised if you can find a new PLC that will drive your motor for $200.

Sorry forgot to specify. Already have stepper and driver. And pwr suply.
The 200 is for plc only. My pulsing output to be 5khz+.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll look into all of them.

Here in the states this PLC is $199 but in Austrailia it's apparently $459.

http://www.automationdirect.com.au/Welcome/plc/DirectLOGIC%20PLCs%20DL06%20micro%20PLC.htm

On DC models. It has 22 inputs, (four can be used as high speed inputs) 16 outputs (two can be used as high speed outputs for a stepper motor control you will still need a stepper motor drive). There is one problem though you cannot use the high speed inputs at the same time as the high speed outputs.

This PLC in the states is $99 (could not find a price for Aus.). If the ratio is the same it should be around $220.

http://www.automationdirect.com.au/Welcome/plc/DirectLOGIC PLCs DL05 micro PLC.htm

On DC models. It has 8 inputs and 6 outputs. Four of the inputs can be used as high speed inputs and two of the outputs can be used for stepper control and you will still need a stepper motor drive. With the same restriction about not being able to use high speed at the same time on inputs as well as outputs.

There is a demo version of the software for free. You can download it and try it. No PLC needed. It has a 100 word limit,which is some what restrictive. I do not know the Aussie price for the full blown software.

Try the demo software and see if you find it intuitive enough.