N-tron 500 vs 700 series switches?

Paul351W

I'm just getting into the CLX Ethernet communication world and have been reading up about managed switches on here. I was wondering when it would be necessary to use a 700 series switch over a 500 series?

I am setting up a new test stand with an L62 processor, 2 HMI's, 6 remote racks (one of which contains another L62 processor), and the potential for a couple Ethernet communication adapters.

Due to physical layout I was looking at getting a 16 port switch for the control room, and a 4 port for a remote enclosure, both managed switches. The ethernet is going to be a closed circuit for test control, I have another ENBT module installed to connect with the building network.

The 500 series, especially with the -A firmware, was a good sturdy managed switch. I especially like that the features that helped make EtherNet/IP work well are enabled by default.

The 700 series are just newer and a little more feature-rich. They have a web-browser interface instead of just a serial console. They support SNMPv3 instead of just v1 and v2. They have the Rockwell Automation CIP object preinstalled.

I don't know how much of a price difference there is. If price wasn't a consideration I'd get the 700 just for the convenience of the HTTP interface.

List pricing for the 500 Series range from $800 to $1500.

List pricing for the 700 series range from $1800 to $3200.

You'd be able to get around a 10% discount from an authorized distributor.

From N-Tron Online store: 516TX-A $1050, 716TX $999. In my experience the 700 series are less expensive than the equivalent 500 with the -A firmware.