Sqo rslogix 5000

Programmer4

I need to know how to program the sqo instruction. Ex: I have a water tank that has 5 inlet solenoid valves that allow the tank to be filled and 1 outlet solenoid to drain the tank. As always a min. And max float switch.
I want to sequence the inlet valves x seconds each.when the tank is full stop sequencing and open the oulet to drain the tank. I can do this in the rslogix 500, but never in 5000

Have you looked at the SQO instruction in ControlLogix?

I am sure, once you do, you will realise it is functionally identical in operation, and having already used it in SLC, you should have no problem using it in ControlLogix.

If, however, the problem is that you are unfamiliar with ControlLogix and its different data-handling, then post back and we can help more.

I did check out the SQO, but I still do not understand. Usually I make the file name in the instruction an integer file and create my own mask. Can you make an example for me if it's not to much trouble. I am just having problems with tagnames instead of acutal addresses.

I understand that it is the intricacies of the ControlLogix database that you are having problems with.

Since there are NO data "files" or equivalent in ControlLogix, what you have to do is create your data tag as an Array Tag.

That is the nearest you will get to data-file type storage:-

SLC -> N7:0 to N7:9
CLX -> MyTag[0] to MyTag[9]
(note MyTag could have the name N7, or Fred, or SequencerData, or anything you want up to 40 characters).

You can get all this info, and more, if you put a SQO instruction on your ladder, highlight the instruction mnemonic, SQO, and hit F1....

I think once you get your head round ControlLogix data tags, there'll be no stopping you....

the example you asked for ...

see if the example in the screen shot below will help ... this will make the LEDs on a regular 16-point output module dance in an interesting little pattern ... (you can fill in any pattern into the array that you want - I've shown just a quick few steps in the sequence) ... adjust the timer's preset to speed it up or slow it down ...

tip: make the array one notch bigger than the LENGTH you need for the SQO ...

you said that you already understand the MASK – but post again if you need help with it ... be sure to tell us WHICH BITS your valves will be addressed to so we can help you nail the mask down in detail ...

FLASHER_CLX.JPG

Last edited:
I set myself a challenge to reduce the instruction count as much as possible for a Traffic Lights sequencer.

I have it down to 2 instructions, one of which is an SQO, would love to get it down to 1, but almost certain it is not possible.