Communication problems PC-PLC-PV1000

Bobbias

Ok, so I'm trying to set up a system to play around with and get some programming practice in. I've got an SLC5/04 connected to the computer using RS485, successfully. I'm trying to hook up a PV1000 to the DH+ port on the SLC and program it through the PLC, so I can program both without needing to switch the connection around.

Thing is, I don't know where to start. I should also mention that there's a program already on the PV1000 and from what we've tried, no way to get into a configuration menu or even change screens from the one we are on. It keeps giving us an alarm banner on the top saying it can't communicate with anything.

I'm still new to PLCs, and don't know really how to configure any of that stuff. I also don't know how I'd connect to the PV through the PLC. Any suggestions?

First tell us the complete catalog number of your PanelView.
Then tell us how RSLinx is setup to communicate with your SLC5/04. What protocol are you using? Cables?

See PDF below for a how to for passthru communication to program the PV thru the SLC5/04.

But with answers to the above question we can give you the most accurate help.

You can get a DH+/DH485/RIO communications module (2711P-RN6) for the PanelView Plus, which would allow it to talk native DH+ to the SLC 5/04. This might be an expensive route to go for a bench testing system.

DH+ is not well supported in RSLinx Enterprise, I would say that DH+ is 'on it's way out'. Ethernet is by far the easiest way to communicate to a PanelView Plus; both for connection to PLC's and for programming from a PC.

You will be limited using a PV+ with the SLC 5/04.

Thanks for the PDF, it made things a lot more clear. I checked the back, and the PV is an FRN3.13, so I guess it's not gonna work. This is just for something to do since we don't have any work for me right now.

We have a PV550 that we were trying as well, and thanks to that PDF, I managed to get it working.

Thanks for the help, this site is an amazingly helpful place.