PLC HELP With GE FANUC 90-30

I have a project to program a GE FANCU 90-30 PLC. I have about 25 inputs and roughly 15 outputs, all digital right now. Inputs are push buttons and couple 2-3 selector switches, and the outputs are LED lights. The buttons/switches are tied to the lights to light up when one is pushed or selected. I have some experience with PLC's, not much just some training on the computer. I have VersaPro version 2.04 to use, is this a good program to use, or would another be better? Can anyone submit some sample code with some explanation that may help show me what to do? And is there anything that I could read up on that would help with with this project? Thanks

VersaPro is not the current programming software for the 90-30, but it is sufficient. The current offering from GE is called Proficy Machine Edition.

Sounds like a project for school or some sort of training session. Do you have a description of what you're supposed to make those 15 outputs do? Or are you supposed to come up with something on your own?

I will try to get a copy of the Proficy Machine Edition. It is a school project of mine, and I have little experience in PLC programming. We have a box with the push buttons and Switches on one side and lights on the other we are going to install. Right now I just want to program it so when a button is pushed a light comes on. Not sure what we are going to do with the switches right now. I will try to get a copy of the Proficy Machine Ed. to program the GE FANUC, and I think I can. It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to program a PLC to do this, but I need help getting started. Thanks

Well that seems simple. In the Proficy Machine program is there a way to perform a test simulation of your code. I would just use that line of code for each button and light correct? How do you address your inputs and outputs in the code to the input/output card? And say I have a switch and if it is turned one way the button does this and if turned the other the button does that? Thanks for your help

How do you address your inputs and outputs in the code to the input/output card
That's what "Hardware Configuration" does.
In the Proficy Machine program is there a way to perform a test simulation of your code
No, you download the code you write to the PLC and try it out.
And say I have a switch and if it is turned one way the button does this and if turned the other the button does that

Switch This
---] [--------( )-

Switch That
---]/[--------( )-

Don't the buttons need to be inserted in the line as well? Since I want the button to work a different way if the switch is positioned one way or another. Thanks again for the help

You have the right idea. It will be easier if you just try out your ideas on your hardware. Your VersaPro software is still viable, even if it isn't the latest & greatest, so you don't have to wait for Machine Edition. Any work you do with VP will migrate to ME.

Also, there is a simulator available at this site. Scroll up to the top of the page and click on the link to it. The addressing is different than what GE uses, but the concepts are the same.

BTW, check your private messages.

I have a PLC with the following layout:

Inputs:
2 Illuminated Push Buttons
4 NonIll. Push Buttons
4 2-position selector switch
4 3 position selector switch

Outputs:

8 Lights

What I have to do is come up with a way to have all inputs working to light up an output, no shorts or faults are involved. I can come up with my own instruction set on how I want the PLC to operate. I know how to code it where 1 button will turn on 1 light. I am lost about what to do with the switches and how to use them and write code. I was thinking
about this scenario for one switch. If the switch is turned this way then the 6 push buttons will operate to turn
on these 6 lights when each one is pushed, and if the switch is turned a different way the 6 push buttons will turn on a different 6 lights when each one is pushed. I was having trouble programing this in the code. I was just using 1 switch and 1 button to start. If the switch is turned one way and button 1 is pushed light 1 comes on. If the switch is turned the other way and button 1 is pushed light 2 comes on. Any ideas how this is done or suggestions on what to do with the switches or code?

You have the right idea.

when you use a switch, one way of doing that would be like this:

button1 switch 1 light 1
|----| |----------+----| |----( )----|
| switch 2 light 2|
+----| |----( )----|

That basically says that when you press the button, if the switch is in position 1 (i caled it "switch 1" there) light 1 will be turned on. If the swth is in position 2 ("switch 2") it will instead energise light 2.

What class are you in where you use GE Fanuc that sounds educational. I work with Fanuc alot and would love classes. Ive had many classes that deal with Allen Bradley but none with GE Fanuc.

It is a senior project with a factory in town. Every senior works in groups with a different factory. The factory supplies the parts for us and they want us to design a PLC trainer for them for new employees to practice with. I have little experience with PLC programming and need some programming help. Bobbias post looks like a good way to program.

I learned on 90-30 with Logicmaster (it dates me as a youngster here) and still use the Proficy ME software today. I think GE is a terrific platform and you should be glad for the opportunity to learn it. Best of luck to you!

It is a senior project with a factory in town. Every senior works in groups with a different factory. The factory supplies the parts for us and they want us to design a PLC trainer for them for new employees to practice with. I have little experience with PLC programming and need some programming help. Bobbias post looks like a good way to program.

It doesn't sound like you really need to know much (if any) programming at all.

Just get a few digital I/O cards and wire them up to switches and pilot lights. Add an analog I/O card and any other specialty cards that you can get your hands on and put it all in a rack on wheels.

A Fanuc drive and a motor would be nice. :)

You need some example programs as well?

I will second the "drive and motor" suggestion. I've been working as a co-op student at an automation place, and I've had a chance to work a bit with some simple PLC stuff, like lights and switches, etc. But I really wish I could work with a motor and drive. There's so much more that you can use to control a motor that you'd never have a reason to use when your simply working with switches and lights. That makes it a much better training platform.