ABB ACS 600 , how to change speed settings for multiple speed ?

trek323

Hi,
Ive juste started working on a ACS 600 drive today but I wasn't able to find answer to my problem

right now, the drive is working forward with a single speed of 1700 rpm, 60 hz, which is a little bit to fast for the application

the unit is running a 250 feet conveyor, 20HP, 600v motor

I would like to put 3 speed, with a standard 3 way button

usually when I program drives, I use a digital 24v contact that close on an Input. In the screen menu, there is always a few parameters to change and thats it

in this drive, it says in the manual that we can use constant speed select

i was not able to find which menu or how to change the speed ?

i've looked over and over again in the firmware manual I must say I,m pretty lost overthere

so..well would be nice if someone could hepl me with that

thanks !

mathieu

I have worked with the ACS 600. I would suggest that you review the manuals.
It can be done But I think you will need to combined setting the constant speed parameters with assigned digital inputs to the drive.
Sorry the constant speed parameters are in the 12s.
Here is a link to a copy of the manual page 2-3 describes the
front display.
http://library.abb.com/global/scot/...56def0049196e/$File/EN_600stdprg_FWmanual.pdf
Hope this help some
Michael

Last edited:
Here's a nice simple solution assuming you are using the Factory (Default) Macro. That is selected in Parameter 99.02.

First, since it appears that you are not using the analog speed input at all, connect a jumper between X21 Term 3 and 4. This shorts the analog input and forces it to the minimum value without any noise.

On your three speed switch, connect the common to +24 volts at X22 Term 7. The lowest speed position leave disconnected. Connect the other two speeds one to X22 Term 5 which is Constant Speed 1 and the other to X22 Term 6 which is Constant Speed 2.

Now, in the Parameters, go to Group 11 Parameter 04 (11.04) which is Minimum Frequency and set that for your slowest Fixed Speed. Then, go to Group 12 Parameter 2 (12.02) and set that for your second speed. Go to 12.03 and set that for your third speed.

With this arrangement, when you select the slowest speed, the drive defaults to minimum speed. When you select the other two speeds, the drive is forced to whatever you have entered in 12.02 and 12.03.

This is a nice drive and actually quite easy to work with. Give this a try and let us know how it does.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info,

yes it is in the standard Factory default Macro

now the speed is around 1700 rpm, around 1400 would probably be perfect, do you know if the speed parameter is in HZ or RPM ?

anyway thanks again for the answer and your time

In Parameter 9904 you can select DTC or Scalar Mode. DTC is a precision sensorless vector type of operation when you need precision speed and torque control or when you need to operate with good control near zero speed.

Scalar mode is V/Hz operation and is much simpler if you don't need the precision.

If the drive is in DTC mode, all the speed settings (1104,1202,1203) are all in rpm. If in Scalar mode, they are in hz.

i've noticed that right now there is a wire

connected to X22, number 5 that goes to X26, number 2

after from X26 , number 3 to X22 number 7

so the circuit already in place goes true output 2 RUNNING

would you do this same loop with the 3 speed settings ?

and it is in RPM, so my mistake, it's probably not in factory default

on the screen it says

1769.8 RPM
current 7.6A
Power 27.17 %

and thanks for the drawing ! and for your time

i've never worked with an ABB module before, different from what I'm used too

Last edited:
Wire it as I indicated and remove the connections to and thru X26 which is a Run Relay.

Also, as I indicated above, it doesn't matter what the display shows. That can be in rpm or Hz. What matters is in 9904. If it's DTC, the settings are in rpm, if it's scalar, the settings are hz.

hi again

well it's not working at all, but still i think there is not so much missing in the puzzle

here is the problem

to power up the drive they are a couple of thing to turn on

1- first a 600v cut off main switch at the service entrance

2- second there is one main breaker connected to the Drive

3- after, in the door, there is on Key that turn on a POWER light and a 600v 3 phase contactor for the electrical motor wiring

after I made exactly the changes you mentionned, I noticed that the contactor didn't energized anymore, and I wasnt able to see the 3 different speed on the screen when I was turning left or right my 3 way switch (one commun 24v, 2 wire comming out )

so I'm wondering if disconnecting X26 (run relay ) might cause the problem

or if there is someting missing in the parameter settings ?

and yes it is in Factory, and DTC mode

thanks again for your time everybody, really appreciated

OK, let's do this in steps.

First, does the keypad lite up? If no, there is no power on the drive.

Second, is the drive in remote mode? You can tell this by looking at the top line of the display. In the upper left corner will be a number, probably #1. Then next to it you do not want to see an "L". If there is an L, push the Local/Remote button until it goes away.

One other question: That last contactor--is it in the power feed to the drive or in the motor leads? If it is in the motor leads, you will need to trace the coil wiring out to determine why its not picking up. It shouldn't have anything to do with X26 unless the wiring diagram you provided is not correct.

Advise and then we will go on to the next step.

The last contactor activate the final wires that goes to the motor , red , black and blue wire , and that contactor is activated when we tùrn on the key on the door , im not there right now sô i cant tell you More at thé moment

The ACS600 in DTC mode must have the motor connected to the drive to operate. You must get that contactor picked up before the drive is started.

hi ,

do you know if I can let all the actual wire to X26 as they are ?

maybe it wont affect the 3 speed settings I want to do ?

(sigh!) trek, how can you expect me to help you when you clearly have not disclosed all of the operating circuitry related to the drive and output contactor?

Figure out how the coil is wired on the output contactor and let us know. And, no, the drive will not work as intended with your X26 wiring overlaid on the wiring I told you to install.

Please don't ask for anything further until you have given us a complete picture of the drive and contactor wiring and what it is supposed to do.