How to go online with Siemens S5?

AB2005

Dear Friends;

We have received an old machine with Siemens PLC S5-100U CPU 103 (6ES5 103-8M A03). This time I don’t know if PLC has the program or not as the machine had not been in operation since last 4years. I connected the power supply and found RUN LED on.
I have Siemens programming software STEP 7-Mirowin in my PC. Can I go on line with that PLC S5 through existing programming software? The PLC has a 15pins connector, what would be the communication protocol?

MicroWin ONLY allows connection to S7-200 series PLC's.

You need Step 5 programming software. Cannot remember the latest Siemens version, but there are also 3rd party options.

The programming port is a 20mA loop connection, you would need a RS232 serial to 20mA converter. (If your laptop has a serial port even).

See this thread for pinout details:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=7381&highlight=s5+programming+port

and this one for software:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=12660&highlight=s5+software

Last edited:
Dear Friends;

I need help from anyone regarding my new Conveyors system project. I recieved all the material (from Belgium) as second hand and about 10years old including Tram manufactured by Pentek. The Tram has a Siemens S5 PLC for which i asked question. I have drawing and PLC programe listing but not in english but don't have operational manual and don't know how to operate the Tram. Can anybody help me out? I tried to Google search the Pentek Trams but failed.

It's being a while since I my last experiences with Pentek systems but I did hear they were acquired by another company. Maybe try to start with basic keywords and go from there.

Casting my mind back the shuttle should fire right up in manual, and automatic mode required valid comms, encoder feed back and a reference point along the travel.

I was merely the plant sparky, so grain of salt if you will.

I got a Siemens PG from somewhere having S5 software, connected it with PLC but don’t know how to go online and upload the program. I am familiar only windows based software but this is totally different. I checked many buttons and “Transfer” the data from PLC to programmer which was only 5KB. I am not sure if it is the total program.
So please help me out how to go online and upload the program?
Second thing, the PLC program would be in ladder type?

Under File manu enter set

You will get a screen having names and numbers on Top.
Example PLC 1 etc.

click each manu, most probably under PLC 1
you get offline command, goto that command line (either mouse or use arrow keys) and press enter using key board (Not the enter command) or double click the offline command

It will apear online if you PG to PLC connection is o.k. and if you have selected the correct port.
You can change your port in the command line.

Use the Standard S5 cable for communication. 25 pin on PG and 9 pin on PLC. You can't tranfer wihtout making it online. There is a circuit with resistors between pins. Use standard S5 cablee. You should know the circuit if you are going to make one.

S5 programmers use ladder, STL (Statement List) and another type that is similar to FBD in S7. You need to look at the program. other than PBs programming blocks you can't write in ladder. You can write in STL irrespective of the block type OB, FB or PB.

Programming is quite different from S7 specially when using pointers for calling blocks (PB, FB or DB) and loading datawords.

There are other differences in calling blocks etc but use of binary logic is kind of same.

Better to look at some programming methods of S5 before you do anything with the program. You need to learn S5 irrespective of how far you have learn S7 before, it is like using a different brand though both products are Siemens.