PV1250 not communicating over DH+ on clx chassis

siv

Hi all,
I have a panelview PV1250 PLUS it was conncected to PLC5 via DH+ and was working. as we replaced PLC with CLX, the panelview failed to communicate. The follwoing error I read in the panelview
"(CLXDP)CIP Connection (0) open failed route RSLinx enterprise DH+ 1756 DHRIO/C 1756 A17B 1756*"

In panelview RSlinx Enterpise communication setup, the follwoing is used.

RSlinx Enterprise
|
V
+ Backplane
+(0)DH+RIO 1756DHRIO
+Backplane(back plane address = 1)
+(5)1756 Logixprocessor L63

Basically my DHplus module is in slot 4, DH+ node address is 0
and the processor is in slot 5.

Thanks in advance.

It is valid but unusual to actually use DH+ Node 0. Be certain that the 2711-RN6 module on the PV+ and the 1756-DHRIO have different DH+ Node Numbers.

What I would try is to point RSLinx Enterprise at the 1756-DHRIO module itself, rather than attempting to navigate the backplane.

Then use RSLinx and right-click on the 1756-DHRIO to configure it, and set the Default Slot # for the controller to Slot 5 for the ControlLogix.

Then the 1756-DHRIO will take any DH+ local packet addressed to itself and forward it to the controller in Slot 5.

Last edited:
Ken,
Thanks for ur reply, The device shortcut is as you mentioned after the RSLinx Enterprise no backplane it is directed to DHRIO ( i made a mistake in wirting)i have attached the screen shot. found some wrong terminating resistors in the network
but now i get "CIP connection (8000) open rejected (Error 1130201) on route controllogix in slot 5 chassis via CIP//* and
problem writing value '1' to item "tagname"

any answers?
Thanks

f:comms setup.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there,
i could not attach the image properly. so here it is. The device shortcut is shown in the attachment. the "6805" topic is linked to 5, 1756-L63 LOGIX 5563 processor. (not as highlighted in the image)

Thanks
siv

comms setup.jpg

Last edited:
Hello from the Gulf; I am in Qatar this week.

I will retract my statements about pointing the Shortcut at the DHRIO module; I consulted the Knowledgebase and found an old V3 technote that shows the shortcut going all the way to the ControlLogix CPU slot.

What is the node number you assigned to the 2711P-RN6 when you created the DH+ driver ? I know that RSLinx Enterprise checks to be sure that you don't set the 2711P-RN6 for the same DH+ node as one of the devices in the configuration, but it can't check for the presence of a duplicate node except when actually hooked up to the network.

Also be sure that when you download the *.MER file to the PanelView Plus that you choose to over-write the existing communication configuration.

Also be certain you are counting slots correctly; the ControlLogix slot numbers start at 00 on the left, so "slot 5" is the 6th slot from the left.

Hello from the Gulf; I am in Qatar this week.

I will retract my statements about pointing the Shortcut at the DHRIO module; I consulted the Knowledgebase and found an old V3 technote that shows the shortcut going all the way to the ControlLogix CPU slot.

What is the node number you assigned to the 2711P-RN6 when you created the DH+ driver ? I know that RSLinx Enterprise checks to be sure that you don't set the 2711P-RN6 for the same DH+ node as one of the devices in the configuration, but it can't check for the presence of a duplicate node except when actually hooked up to the network.

Also be sure that when you download the *.MER file to the PanelView Plus that you choose to over-write the existing communication configuration.

Also be certain you are counting slots correctly; the ControlLogix slot numbers start at 00 on the left, so "slot 5" is the 6th slot from the left.
Hi Ken,
Welcome to Gulf. DH+ node numbers are OK. I can see them in RSLINX classic. SLOT # OK checked.
What we experience now is that out of the 5 PVs if i remove two from the network The system works. As i add the 4 and 5th (not in any order) it can not communicate.

I don't know if there is any restrictions on DHRIO on number of panelview nodes it can manage.
Planning to split the network update u if succeed.
Thanks

AHA ! It's the number of PanelView terminals, using up CIP connections on the 1756-DHRIO.

I ran across the appropriate technote but you had not mentioned the scope of the network so it didn't seem applicable. I'll find that document.

RA Knowledgebase Answer ID # 52653 addresses this issue.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52653

To summarize, the PV+ terminal uses up to 5 "CIP connections" to the ControlLogix through the 1756-DHRIO module, but the 1756-DHRIO can only bridge 10 of these CIP Connections.

The easiest thing to do would be to add another 1756-DHRIO module to the DH+ network.

Thanks a lot Ken,
It worked as we split our DH+ network. I found in RSLogix 5000 manual that the CLX processor can have 32 msg instructions and each msg instruction makes one CIP connection. the question is CLX processor can handle only upto 32 CIP connection ? IF this is correct can we connect a max of 6 panelviews ? ( i have one more project with similar issues). I feel better to move on Ethernet for my future projects.

ControlLogix CPUs can acutally handle 250 CIP Connections. The smaller limits are specific to MSG instruction use of those connections, or limitations on modules like the 1756-DHRIO.

It's a fairly complex topic, unfortunately, and I don't have the time or ability to give it an exhaustive treatment here.

The ControlLogix can run a lot more CIP connections over Ethernet or ControlNet than it can through the 1756-DHRIO module and its DH+ channel.

Thanks Ken for sparing your valuable time. As I have some breathing time for my next project I will go through AB's resources (hope it will be better).
Thank you once again
Regards.
Siv (y)