CompactLogix ethernet communications

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
I'm having a problem establishing ethernet communications with a CompactLogix L32E. I set up a serial driver in RSLinx, established serial communications, and downloaded the application, including an IP address for the ethernet port. The processor runs the program with no errors.

Then I tried to set up an ethernet driver in RSLinx. When I selected "Ethernet device" for the driver, RS Who located the IP address of the L32E, but called it an "Unrecognized device". RS Who on the serial driver correctly identifies the full details about the L32E.

Did I miss something in the configuration of the L32E in RS Logix?

Is there an "EtherIP" driver type? I vaguely remember a different way of setting up Ethernet PLCs within RSLinx...it's been awhile.

which driver are you using for ethernet? ETH or ETHIP

does your processor I/P reflect your pc I/P apart from the last numbers

e.g

processor 192.168.1.10
pc 192.168.1.20

have you tried pinging your processor? incase you arnt familiar, while connected via ethernet go to start and click run then type cmd and press enter

then type: ping xxx.xxx.x.xx and then press enter,(xxx.xxx.x.xx replace these with your assigned processor i/p address)

It sounds like the ethernet driver (AB-ETH) is finding the device, probably showing a yellow question mark? As long as there is not a red X over the yellow question mark then I believe RSLinx can see the processor. Try updating the EDS file. I think the Ethernet IP driver would most likely return similar results, although I don't use the ETHIP driver to often.

As robw53 stated above, the PING function is a good way to test if your computer can see an ethernet device. Then you can narrow it down to device configuration or RSLinx and move forward.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using the ETH driver, not the ETHIP. Yes, my laptop's ethernet port is set to a compatible IP address. I don't think I need to ping the L32E as RSWho detects its IP address.

I'll try updating the EDS file. Does a mismatched EDS file only couse problems with ethernet communications? I ask because RSWho with the DF1 driver correctly recognized the processor.

I always ping devices if I'm having trouble communicating, just to be sure. Why not, it's easy enough to do.

Is this processor new? If so, how was the firmware loaded?

We have all the revs of firmware on compact flash cards, which we use to load new controllers. During the firmware loading, the processor will reboot and finish load the Ethernet ports firmware. If the card is pulled before this is complete (which is easy to do because it appears to be done), it renders the Ethernet port useless.

Of course it very well could be the EDS. I just thought I'd give you something else to think about.

Edit: What version of RSLinx?

I flashed the processor via the serial connection. There were two long transactions, the first being approximately 15000 blocks, then a second of about 7500 blocks. Based on your description, I assume the second was the ethernet firmware. The process ran to completion. I'm pretty sure the ethernet port is functional because RSWho detects the IP address and it's not one you're normally going to encounter. It's common to see 192.168.1.xxx, but in this case we're using 25.25.25.xxx. The laptop and the PLC are the only nodes on the network right now.

I'm not at the site today, so I can't implement any of the suggestions until I return tomorrow. Keep 'em coming though. No reasonable offers refused. And thanks again.

Edit: Using RSLinx Classic Lite

As i remember the Ethernet port on an L3Xe has it's own EDS file. So make sure you grab both at the correct firmware level. If Linx can recognise the processor over the serial port but not over the Ethernet port I suspect that an EDS file for the Ethernet port is the thing that is getting you.

This is a link to the AB EDS search page. Search on Ethernet for network type and Communication Adapter for for device type. Scroll down to the 1769 stuff.

Keith

I'm going to agree with the EDS file crowd. The EDS is likely for the ethernet portion of the processor. A good way to confirm is to connect serially and see if you can drill down to the ethernet port and view/edit the IP address.

If it is an EDS problem, you will probably see the yellow question mark on top of the ethernet port in the RSWho tree.

Steve - By your description it sounds like you upgraded the firmware in the processor.

EDS files are simple text files used by network configuration tools to help you identify products and easily commission them on a network.

The EDS file is for RSLinx and will need to be installed (on your PC) using: RSLinx / Tools / EDS Hardware installation Tool

You will need to download the EDS file that corresponds to the current firmware version of the controller.

EDS files can be downloaded here: http://www.automation.rockwell.com/resources/eds/

Another way to confirm that the ethernet settings in the processor are configured correctly is to browse to the processor / ethernet module using a web browser (internet explorer). Type the IP address into the address bar in IE and the AB ethernet device should serve up a webpage with some basic configuration and status information.

The processor is flashed to V17 firmware.

I downloaded the latest eds file (0001000C00781100.eds) from the website. Do I need to do anything other than copy it to C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\eds?

Edit: Thanks blamb, I've registered it now.

Widelto,

I did get to the screen you captured. I remember seeing the note in the help file that the IP address here had to match the IP address under the 'general" tab and thinking, "Why do I need to enter the IP address twice". I believe I was able to enter the IP address and subnet mask once I unchecked the "Enable Bootp" selection. I will double check when I'm back at the site tomorrow.

Last edited: