S7 Technology CPU question

Mike_RH

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone here have any experience with a 315T CPU?

I have an existing system that I wish to add a Ethernet CP module to. I have the Technology toolkit V4. Unfortunately the CPU is V3. I can open the project and add the CP module, but when I compile the hardware I get an error, but the compile completes.

Do I have to have V3 Technology toolkit? Or is V4 downward compatible? I would like to avoid updating the firmware in the the CPU.

Thanks

I don't know about he technology toolkit but the regular STEP 7 software lets you update the hardware definitions from within the hardware configuration. It doesn't do it automatically when it sees hardware it doesn't recognize. Maybe its got the same sort of thing?

Tim, Yes, I can update the project to be firmware ver 4, but then I would have to flash the processor hardware to match, which I want to avoid doing.

Mike,

I've done several projects with T cpu. So let me get this right, if you just add the ethernet module to the rack and compile. Why does the firmware become an issue?

Can I try on your project?

Can you post it somewhere?

Last edited:
The original project was compiled with V3 of the toolkit.
I have V4.
When I add the CP module, and try to compile the hardware. The Hardware manager complains that the project was created with V3. The details on the dialog box, indicate to change the Technology settings to V4 and then update the firmware in the CPU to match.

I do not want to update the firmware, as everything is working - I just want to add a CP module.I thought it would be quick and easy.

Mike,

I understand now-
Try this
In the hardware config- (technology) on slot 3
Double click- go to the tab for "technology system data"
Is this checked ?- if so un-check the box (for generate tech data )and try to compile with the ethernet card inserted

Post back

Last edited:
Whoo Hoo!
It compiled fine, I can't get to the machine till tomorrow, I will post back after I do the download.

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it.

Great !

With that checked the system just tries to "like it says" generate the tech system data. But this only has to be done once and downloaded. Then you dont need it again (unless updating the cpu )

Let us know when you checked the ethernet module.

PS- and your right, if your system has Sinamics drives..etc you dont want to update the T CPU firmware (unless you need some new instructions..etc) because you might have to undate the drive firmware too.

JRW

Its no go, with that checkbox unchecked, the compile operation deletes the existing technology block, so I end up with just a "plain" 315.

So I have to either get V3 of the toolbox or update the project & hardware to V4.

Mike

I spoke with Joe in Johnson City- I see you did too.

If this is a big problem. I may be able to find an old version of Technology software and load it. Then get your project and add the ethernet card.

PM me if this is something you want to discuss.