Somewhat OT: Pozidriv vs. Phillips

Doug-P

Just throwing this out there since there may be some who aren't aware of the differences between Pozidriv and Phillips screwdrivers - or even the existnce of Pozidriv. Heck, I didn't know 'til a few months ago, even though I'd seen those funny looking Phillips-type screw heads for years. Check out the graphics of various screw heads at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv

Phillips drivers have an intentional angle on the flanks and rounded corners so they will cam out of the slot before a power tool will twist off the screw head. The Pozidriv screws and drivers have straight sided flanks.

I've been doing a project building panels with contactors and MCPs and they all have Pozidriv screws. After getting the correct tool I can say there is a definite difference - you can really crank those babies. Which is good, since those components come with torque specs. which would be very difficult to meet using a Phillips driver - in the range of 20-28 lb-in for some of the main terminals.

If you do any work with these fasteners, it'll pay to get the right tools. Most any big tool maker will carry them.

They're both average choices.

Not to sure who else has them but the square drive (and so much better) is popular in New Zealand. The Australians haven't picked up on them yet...

I learned something new today !

I recently worked inside a 170A Allen-Bradley PowerFlex 700 drive that was three years old; when I took it apart, everything had what appeared to be Phillips head machine screws. The replacement parts I got all had Torx head screws; lucky I had Torx bits.

I'll have to go back and see if the screws were actually Pozidriv heads.

Nothing beats good old hex screws and Allen wrenches...
Hex screws do have their place but I've yet to see them factory installed on a brand new motor circuit protector. I'm talking about the ones which clamp down on the wires to make the connections for your motor, coil, and auxiliary contacts.

Pozidriv head

Pozidriv_drive.gif

http://www.peaksight.com/home.htm

Since many components nowadays seem to have screws with the combination slotted and phillips head, I just got a combo head screwdriver from Wiha. Works great... it centers itself on the screw like a Phillips but allows more torque.

307_Xeno_tip_px200.jpg