New Projects!

pcalonzi

Hey everybody,

Hope everyone is doing well, I am starting on a new project and am looking for a little input. I have a machine that will have analog & discrete I/O, 2 servos, and an HMI. I'll also have to interface with a vb project to pull data out of the plc and dump to a database. We're an AB shop so I am leaning towards an ml1400 because of the Ethernet.

I can handle all the I/O stuff and HMI (Probably a redlion G3), but need a good recommendation on what to do about the servos. I need to be able to pass data to the servo and do more than just discrete control.

Thanks in advance,
-Pat

I'm not sure if the MicroLogix platform is right for servo control. You may need to look at CompactLogix or ControlLogix. There is a relatively new CompactLogix unit out, the L23 series, which are comparible to the MicroLogix in that it's a packaged unit with a little bit of expansion capability so depending on your I/O count that might be the way to go. The L23 has s decent price tag as well. I don't know much about servo control so I won't be much help there. Hope this might help.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1769-pp008_-en-e.pdf

I'm in agreement with blamb that the ML1400 may not be right for your application. If it was my project, I believe I would start with the servo and then back into the right PLC, assuming you need a PLC at all.

Steve

Need the PLC to run the rest of the machine but the drawback is I haven't broken down and purchased logix5000 yet and was looking to do it w/out that expenditure.

-Pat

If all you need to do is change a few parameters in the servo on the fly, you can send the new parameter values with a ML1400 using MSGs via modbus (assuming the servo can act as a modbus slave). Works like a charm with the Automation Direct servos. The AD servos are the same as the GE/Fanuc Versamotion product line.

you could use the mx1400 with a ultra1500 drive for the 2 servo's, control them with a PTO.

Another option could be mx1400 and the new kinetix 300 indexing servo drive that is controlled over ethernet/ip.

Try DataPort for your Data Collection portion. www.webdock.net. I think you will find it the best data logger and troubleshooting tool on the market. The built in web server allows you to view your data from anywhere on the network.

Pat,

I tried sending you a PM but could not - you either elected not to receive them or you're blocked for some reason.

Unless you have the ML1400 on hand, or this is a long term project(scheduled 6+months out), I would suggest going to the SLC or CompactLogix for it due to the problems with ML acquisition at this time.

How big are the servos? Can you use steppers? Do you need to do blended moves?

Use the G3 to do the data collection.

The guys are right all of the MLX family have loooooong lead time now. I would look for a unit here. GIT is a good guy he frequent this site often.

Last edited: