Allen Bradley Popular?

I am not sure if this can be answered in a correct way, but there are a lot of preferences in automation here in the US, but AB seems to be the popular choice, IMO.

Define popular

What is your definition of "popular"?
The one we "like" the most?
The one that is most requested by the customer?
The one with the most sales?
The one that we are most familar with?

Different answers for all...

:confused:

I will agree with Rockwell / Allen Bradley but the truth is you could probably get five different answers from five different people. It comes down to personal experience and preference.

I guess the one most used in the U.S. I worked at GM and they had over 400 Semiens, over 100 GE's different vintages, over 100 Indramats and over 400 Flopro devices, then a handful of different formats in lesser quantities.

I guess the one most used in the U.S. I worked at GM and they had over 400 Semiens, over 100 GE's different vintages, over 100 Indramats and over 400 Flopro devices, then a handful of different formats in lesser quantities.

I think if it's an American icon company, you will probably find AB is now the choice, as part of the 'buy American' campaign.(Even though most of Rockwell stuff comes from elsewhere)

I just took a tour of the H-D York plant and noticed a mish mash of old devices , probably from the AMF days of the '70s/80s. But i noticed all newer machinery was AB . Coolest one I saw was the robot cell that stamps and trims gas tank halfs. All automated from steel roll feed into press, to trimming station to exit station. All Contrologix based with PV1000+

Wow. I never would have guessed that a GM plant would be using other than AB. But to answer the original question, I'd think that for general purpose machine automation it would be AB. Sometimes, you might find that specific industries have other "common" platforms, but I thought that AB had the largest installed base in the US.

I recently read in one of the trade mags that A-B constitutes about 50% of the installed base of PLC's and PAC's (Process Automation Controllers) in the U.S. All the others have the other 50%. That sounds about right to me.

Flopro98 said:

Paul T said:
Wow. I never would have guessed that a GM plant would be using other than AB. But to answer the original question, I'd think that for general purpose machine automation it would be AB. Sometimes, you might find that specific industries have other "common" platforms, but I thought that AB had the largest installed base in the US.

Each GM plant (and Ford & Chrysler) have their own preferences. The GM Defiance casting plant I'm doing a machine for specifies ControlLogix, DeviceNet, IEC components with the exception of Nema rated contactors and only Ross Pneumatic valves & air prep. The GM Toledo Transmission plant specifies Modicon & Parker. The GM Willow Run Transmission plant specifies AB but only SLC family & Numatics. All within a hours drive of each other.

Here is another example, there are 3 Chrysler Transmission plants in Kokomo Indiana almost within walking distance of each other. One specs ControlLogix or PLC5, another Siemens only, the last SLCs or Siemens.

A general statement saying that each of the big 3 only specs a certain brand of PLC is just not true.

Each GM plant (and Ford & Chrysler) have their own preferences. The GM Defiance casting plant I'm doing a machine for specifies ControlLogix, DeviceNet, IEC components with the exception of Nema rated contactors and only Ross Pneumatic valves & air prep. The GM Toledo Transmission plant specifies Modicon & Parker. The GM Willow Run Transmission plant specifies AB but only SLC family & Numatics. All within a hours drive of each other.

Here is another example, there are 3 Chrysler Transmission plants in Kokomo Indiana almost within walking distance of each other. One specs ControlLogix or PLC5, another Siemens only, the last SLCs or Siemens.

A general statement saying that each of the big 3 only specs a certain brand of PLC is just not true.

We look after two plants in the Toronto GTA that are owned by a large British Candy company. One plant is all Siemens, the other is now all AB, after being years of TI and Simatic.

Difference, the plant engineers.One loves Siemens, the other loves AB.

The Ford/AAI (Auto Alliance International) plant in Flatrock, Michigan is half Mitsubishi and half AB, all in the same plant.