P&F WSC2 to Compact Logix

bmyers66

I am updating a SLC control platform to Compactlogix. We use a P&F WSC2 reader for position of a gantry. I tried reusing the SLC RLD in the CLX, but I am not having any luck getting data from the reader head that looks correct. Has anyone used this reader with a CLX PLC ?
Before someone asks, the reader is RS485. I am going through a B&B Electronics 485 to 232 converter before feeding the serial string into channel 0 of the processor.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Never have used your P&F WSC2 reader, but my system is reading data from a bar code scanner and works perfect. I´m including config and part of programming.
use a PC to receive data from receiver( use hyperterminal and serial port), once this part is working configure your plc´s serial port the same as your PC serial port.

serial.jpg serial1.JPG serial2.jpg

Bill,
my code and config is very similar to yours. I am getting back something from the reader, the problem is; I dont think it is position data. the numbers constantly change in the PLC even when the reader is stationary. The way the reader works: the PLC sends hex 80 out, the reader is supposed to respond with 5 characters that represent the position. I would assume, that if the reader head is not moving, at each request the position would be the same, I am getting information that varies far too much to be valid data in my mind. I am wonder if the fact that the reader is 8 bits plus partity is causing me grief.