Using a PanelView+ 600 display and PLC5/20

I'm replacing a DL40 display with a PV+600. Quite brave of me as I've not used much AB stuff.

The DL40 display uses DH+ channel B to communicate with the PLC5/20.

I can't get the PV+ to communicate with the PLC. all the tutorials in the manual are for a CLX or Ethernet comms.

I'm using Factorytalk view studio to configure the new display.

I'm struggling with the comunications set up and anticipate problems with the tags.

heres a pic of my runtime comms. I made it address 43 as that is the DH+ node address of the PLC5/20. I don't think i need it as i'm using channel B but this pic is of my third attempt. So I tried adding the address.

factorytalkshortcuts.png

My questions are.
1. Have any of you done this before?
2. Have I got the comms setup correct?
3. Can my runtime and design time be the same? Is the design link just so I can program the PV+ once it is installed?
4.As my PLC5/20 is not tagbased, How do I import the symbols and addresses?

I just noticed your post.

I find PV+ comms confusing as well.

I am attaching a document which shows an image of the comm setup I did for a PV+ to a PLC 5/20 using DH+.

I know this works, but it can be tricky to get going (make sure your cable is correct, you can always swap 1-3 to check).

Make sure your comms on the Panelview reflect the comms of your application. You can check in configuration mode.

And...

I have a rule with Panelview+ comms, if I set up something that I think should work and it doesn't, I reset. If it still doesn't work, then I redownload. Only then do I try something else.

Just noticed that your questions didn't all get addressed.

3. Can my runtime and design time be the same?

Yes.

Is the design link just so I can program the PV+ once it is installed?

No. The design time config is used for running the application on your computer before downloading to the Panelview. i.e. get the appropriate DH+ comms to a PLC from your computer then test the application using the "running man" icon. The DH+ driver only supports the PKTX card though - if you're like me an have a PCMK card in your laptop then you can't use this in Design comms. (see more on this below)

4.As my PLC5/20 is not tagbased, How do I import the symbols and addresses?

I typically avoid using tags in PV+ applications whenever possible for DH+ and Ethernet. I find it's way easier to troubleshoot when directly referencing the address. But when I do, I like to export whatever tags are in the PV+ application to get a CSV file that I can edit, then copy in what I need.

But as I said, when putting a Connection on say a pushbutton, I would just type in ::[PLC]N43:200/7 or somesuch. :): is important and I've never read anywhere about it except on this message board! It means "Look out - there's a ":" in the following address)

Getting back to the PKTX thing, there is an Ethernet (or Serial) workaround to test out your panelview+ that will eventually communicate over DH+. Since your connections or tags would be the same (unless you set it up for Remote I/O) setup your design time comms for Ethernet (if you have an ethernet interface for the testbench PLC) or DF1 Serial (you would need a 25-pin null modem cable) and everything should work fine.

Long winded, I know, but I remember getting into PV+, and having trouble using help files or finding other guidance on how to do the "basic" stuff.

Well, i gave it a good go, but i'm still no getting anywhere.

i wonder what I'm missing.

The PLC5/20 is using a DL20 to display messages at the moment.
When the DL20 is plug into Channel B of the PLC a green light comes on.

When I plug in my PV+ it stay red. does Polarity count? I'll try switching the cables later. (I'm back home now)

Do I have to do any config changes in the PLC?

Make sure your comms on the Panelview reflect the comms of your application. You can check in configuration mode.

And...

I have a rule with Panelview+ comms, if I set up something that I think should work and it doesn't, I reset. If it still doesn't work, then I redownload. Only then do I try something else.

Where I work, we have a rule about PV+ and FTVSME...but I can't type it in open forum.

:(

Are you sure your PLC5/20's port 1B is configured for DH+ and not RIO?

DL20 or DL40 which do you have?

Check its port configuration or post the .RSP file here ( zip it first)

Last edited:
Also, make sure the node address of the PanelView+ is a unique number on the network, and that the baud rate matches. If that all checks good, then you can swap the wires at one end of the DH+ cable. Also, make sure you have the correct terminating resistors installed on the end nodes. (Both ends if there is only the PV+ and the PLC5).

I'm using a DL40

Channel B is configed for Remote I/O scanner.

One thing is Factory talk uses RS Linx Enterprise for configuring the Comms and my laptop used RS Linx Classic. Will this make a difference?

I'll attach a zip file of the program and a picture of my Comms config.

I could attach the Factory talk prog if you think it will help.

Channel 1B of the PLC-5/20 being configured for RIO makes all the difference. DH+ and RIO run on the same kind of wire but are totally different protocols.

The good news is that I am 90% sure you can use RSLogix 5 to set Channel 1B to DH+ protocol on the PLC-5, which will allow it to communicate with your PanelView Plus 600.

In FactoryTalk View Studio, you are going to set up just one Shortcut, and you're only going to set it up in the Runtime/Target tab.

Because you are using a PLC-5 instead of a Logix, the Offline File browsing feature is not supported. Because you (probably) don't have a supported DH+ interface on your FTView Studio computer, the Design/Local tab will not do much good.

DH+ support in FTView Studio (specifically, in RSLinx Enteprise, which does all the communications for the PV+) is not nearly as strong as it was in PanelBuilder32. You cannot download to the PV+ terminal over DH+ protocol unless you have a local 1784-PKTX card, so count on using Ethernet, RS232, or CompactFlash to install your *.MER runtime file on the PV+600 terminal itself.

The good news is that I am 90% sure you can use RSLogix 5 to set Channel 1B to DH+ protocol on the PLC-5, which will allow it to communicate with your PanelView Plus 600.

Make that 100%

Yes, you can change the Channel B config but The PLC is already configed for the DL40 as RIO.
I'd like to be able just to unplug the DL40 and plug in the PV+600 and not change the config in the PLC if possible.

Is there a strong technical reason you cannot modify the Channel 1B configuration on the PLC-5 ?

The alternative is getting a RIO adapter for the PV+600 and learning the RIO configuration in RSLinx Enterprise, which is so complex that even I, one of the first people to teach PV+ training classes, avoid it.

It is much easier to use DH+ to connect the PV+600 to the PLC-5 than it is to use RIO.