function test of Flex I/O's

robw53

i have got a second hand flex i/o bank and wondered if you could check they operate and communicate ok without having to connect to my compact logix l32E, if not then how exactly do i address the flex i/o, im guessing i would have to use rsnetworx ethernet to setup a communication link between them?

cheers

Have you got RSEmulate5000 ?

If you have you could create an Emulate project to run on your PC, add the Flex as Remote EtherNet IO and test it that way.

unfortunatly not i will just have to have a play around with it on the compact logix when i get into work as mine at home doesnt have ethernet, ive not done any installation with flex i/o do i need to use rsnetworx ethernet to config or can i just add the flex i/o adaptor via rslogix 5k by selecting I/O config on the tree and adding new module?

There is absolutely no need for RSNetworks for EtherNet.

Unlike ControlNet, EtherNet/IP is not a scheduled network, and so nothing needs to be set-up to allow the exchange of I/O data. RSNetworks for EtherNet is primarily a monitoring/troubleshooting tool.

I hesitated before originally replying, I was going to suggest you just add the 1794-AENT and the I/O modules to the I/O configuration tree online, but I am unsure whether you can do this online with CompactLogix, you certainly can with ControlLogix.

Does the system already have a lot of I/O, Produced/Consumed tags & messaging - you may be running close to the limit of the number of connections?

If this is the case, you can put your AENT in as "Rack Optimised". The AENT adapter will collate the Digital I/O automatically, and exchange this with the controller using only one connection. Any Analog modules you add to the configuration will also use a connection each, as they are not included in the Rack Optimisation schema.

One last thing, I would put the adapter in as an 8-slot chassis, even if you aren't using 8 flex I/O modules. It is easy to add more modules later if you set it up for the full complement of modules.

when you click on I/O configuration it comes up with a box and nothing in to select but does using a controllogix

no i dont have much I/O its a test rig im setting up in my office, i do have a compact logix on ethernet, 5 PF4 drives which are to be conected via a 22-xcomm-base with e/net, PV+700 on ethernet, the flex I/O, a 1500 with Net-Eni with a pv 600 on DH485 via Net-Aic and then a devicenet card with an encoder on it just to have to be able to setup a devicenet network up at a later date.

You cannot add your Flex I/O adapter to the CompactLogix I/O configuration online, (and, hanging my head in shame, neither can you with ControlLogix as i said you could).

With your Offline file, Right-Click the EtherNet branch of the tree, not the root IO Configuration folder. You should then see "New Module"
2010-02-07_113422.jpg

Choose the series A Flex I/O adaptor, click OK, then set the Major revision to 2.

Up comes the Module Configuration Dialog, enter all the detail asked for.
2010-02-07_114149.jpg

Then add your I/O modules by Right-Clicking on the "FlexBus"
It should look something like this.
2010-02-07_114544.jpg

i have tried doing that but i do not have the ethernet branch within the I/O configuration i have upto version 15 of rslogix5k and the processor is running through a net-eni if that would cause me not to see the ethernet branch??

all i have in the I/O configuration is compact bus local and under that the 4 I/O cards

Rob

Are you sure the processor is an L32E and not a L31 or L32C?

Possibly a silly question but no ethernet branch and Net ENI suggested it.

Last edited:
sorry i don't know why i put L32E thats what we have at work with ethernet, no mine at home is the L20 unfortunatly so only an RS232 port.

yea you was correct in what you said i am using a net eni to run it on ethernet till i get hold of a spare L32e

Without an Ethernet/IP Processor the only way i can think of to connect to a AENT is via the onboard web server. I dont think that can give you enough info but its probably worth a look.
Make sure you have a PC and the AENT on the same subnet then just type the AENT's address into a web browser.