String exchang

angi

Hi

Anybody know how to send a string in MicroLogix PLC to external device using ethernet port.

Thanks

I just want to make my question clear:
I need to send a string from MicroLogix's EtherNet port to a external device which only accept serial signal.
Do I need a additional device or could be done by PLC software ?

Thanks

So is it ethernet or serial? Big difference in my book.

There are specific commends for serial comms.

I don't know of a way to write over ethernet. I think you must have 3rd party software like InGear or Kepware.

Last edited:
This unit may cost a bit but it does the job very well. The device is the active part scanning a specific string variable. When it has a string (len > 0) then it sends it out its serial port and empties the SLC string location. That's all the handshaking that is needed. It will go the other way too. When it receives a sserial string it send it to another string location internal to the SLC (if the internal string was empty, otherwise it holds it until the internal string is empty.) It sets up via an easy HTML interface. (Don't let the page title fool you. Scroll to the bottom for Micrologix compatible part numbers.)

Last edited:
I've used that unit, and it does a great job at READING ASCII data and converting it to a PLC readable form, but I don't believe it allows you WRITE ASCII data.