PanelView ASCII

Hi
I need to transmit an ASCII string of 12 characters from a PV to an SLC. The problem is it sends the 12 characters of the string I need, plus about 120 'null' characters.
The AEX (ASCII extract) instruction won't extract the characters I need. I guess because the string length is over the magic 82 characters.
The tag at the PV is set to a width of 12. What am I missing?

thanks

Quick and Dirty Fix

How about a simple MOV 12 STx:y.LEN instruction? FORCE the length to be what you want, despite what the Panelview sends.

Follow-up questions (after original post):

Is the tag you are using as a WRITE TAG a "Character Array" type, with a length of 12?

Is the String Width of the ASCII Entry object = 12?

(You refer to the tag having a width of 12, so I'm not sure which you are referring to.)

If your width is 12, but the tag length is 120, then the PV may append 108 'null' characters when it writes.

Last edited:
Just to close this issue.
The tag in the PanelView needs to be addressed ST22:0.1
The ".1" at the end points it to the data part of the ST structure. Without this, the ASCII string starts filling up the LEN part and when a big number is seen in the LEN, the PLC makes up these characters as NULLs (/00)

Thanks for your input, Allen

Paul