FactoryTalk View Runtime Security

Zhopa

Hi!
I'm struggling with simple update to PV+1000 so hope on your help.
It's simple control screen and I added just one more button. But now our runtime security doesn't work.
We simply have login screen with 5 users. They are all in RUNTIME SECURITY table. Each one assigned login Macro (SETLEVEL1, 2, etc) and logout (SETLEVEL1 to DEFAULT). Each macro, in turn, puts different number in tag SecurityLevel - simple.

And all this system doesn't work. I've put level 3 flag in PLC and PV+ couldn't even logout to default level.

One more problem - PV+ is v.4 and FT - 5. So I can't just open old app... But when I put original file back to PV+ everything works.

I guess I need to understand basics: where does PV+ keeps user table? How can I make sure it's present? Why do I have all that strange names in security table?

Or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!!
Aleks

new.JPG

Why the macros?

Personally, I would remove all of those gibberish ones. I have seen those like that after restoring without selecting the "factory talk local directory".

In the tree on the left, down at the bottom you will find a system folder (I think). When you branch down, there is a user folder, you need to add users there.

Then from window in your screen shot, you select add. There are a couple of radio buttons. I think the bottom one will show all users. Then you can select to add each one.

I don't have FT in front of me so I'm trying this off of memory. I wish I had my work PC in front of me, I could be a little more specific.

Thanks!

First of all - the machine came from the builder like this - not my fault :)))

Even without pC in front of you - you gave me the direction. I was thinking about that path too. But there are couple questions:
when I create users in system folder - where do I ACTUALLY create them - on my PC or just IN APPLICATION. So when I create .mer file - do that users go to PV+ with the file? This is the part I don't get really clearly... Don't I have to connect to my PV+ somehow and set all users in its WinCE?

Thanks anyway!!!

When you create them in the system folder, I believe they are actually residing on the PC. When you add the users to the application (your screen shot), they are then compiled into the application when you create the runtime.

When restoring the .mer into FT (like if you uploaded one from a panelview), if you do not select "restore the factory talk local directory", the security will not be restored to the machine. The result typically is what you see in your screen shot.

Thanks man! It works!

I'll give short description just in case somebody hits the same wall :)
We have FT View v5 and PV+ v4. So everythime we change something in project, we create runtime application in v4. And that is why we can't restore that .mer into project file.

And as you guessed - we had problem with 'local directory'. We have couple guys using laptop so... local directory was missing users for this application. That is why I had all that wiered numbers instead of user names.

So I found original .ape file. And as you suggested I restored it WITH FT Local directory. This way I got all my users names. Then I closed original application and opened current version. This way I had all my current screens BUT original FT local directory with all users. NOW I created my .mer file and it worked!!!

One more trick: when you are restoring .ape file with local directory, FT View WILL LOG OUT (there is BIG warning screen) and you HAVE TO login in order to restore directory. I didn't do this step first time that is why I didn't get my users first.

Hope it will help somebody else :)

Do you guys have any idea how to transfer users from one computer to another?

I've searched all up and down the knowlegebase and couldn't find anything worthwile.

I believe you just have to take a backed up application or a runtime that was created in 5.0 or later (and allows restoring) and restore it on the new computer. You must select the option that says something like "include the factory talk local directory".

I have the same problem. And it didn´t work at all.

When I send my Backup to my customer the following happend:

He restored the file with local directory.

After that FT View ask for a login ! And I don´t have a clue what login ???

He has to setup the complete runtime security new !

Any Ideas what this Factory talk login is ???

Yeah, it still wants the login for the local factory talk directory on which the application is created. I have had this same issue. I am to the point where all hell must be froze over before I will even look for the FTView Studio shortcut. All my development is done with Crimson 3.0 so all our PV+ systems are basically frozen unless there's a dire emergency.

So, you have to find the person who created the factory talk service directory on the original FTView installation on which the apa was created and then they have to remember the password or get R/A to retrieve it for them. Or, you can just recreate the users manually. I don't think you lose anything else in the app.

So when exactly does it want the password? Is it during the restore of the runtime? If so, you need to enter the user name and password that is in the application. If you do not know it, then you need to restore it without the local directory and then re-create the user account.

I ask for the password when you open the restored application

And I have no idea which password it is.

The original application was designed and programed by me on this

Dell-Laptop.

And I set up this Dell without any passwords.

I've heard many causes and (cough) 'Solutions' to this from various folk at Rockwell... The real answer is, nobody knows. FTView security was designed to be (by default, NOT a user option) USA pharmaceutical compliant. It may or may not be, I can't tell. What it is, is broken and cumbersome enough that the US regulatory agencies think it must be 'correct' according to 21CFR.11

FTView ME is about the worst of the stinking piles that is FTView in general, especially for an OEM. It is virtually impossible, if not actually impossible, to update a client's system and send them the updated backup or runtime, without destroying their security settings.

Dump PV+ and FTV ME entirely, and go with an alternative that isn't so broken.

I ask for the password when you open the restored application

And I have no idea which password it is.

The original application was designed and programed by me on this

Dell-Laptop.

And I set up this Dell without any passwords.

Hello, newbie here. I recently ran into the same problem. When it asked for the password for the restored application, I entered the username and password of one of the accounts with full access. Not sure if that is the "correct" approach but it worked.