National Instruments vs Allen Bradley

SCG

Has anyone used both National Instruments Hardware and software and Allen Bradley hardware and software? I am specifically wondering about the PAC systems. It looks to me like labview is way more flexible and powerful but how good is the hardware?

Has anyone used both National Instruments Hardware and software and Allen Bradley hardware and software?

Yes. Did some long-term life cycle machines for bearings. Labview for analyzing analog data and decision making off the data and handshaking with the AB h/w & s/w that was actually controlling the machine. I consider them (2) completely different and non-competing tools.

Why couldn't you use National's CompantRIO for control instead of Rockwell's contrologix processor and I/O? Or maybe a better question is what advantages are there is both?

Why couldn't you use National's CompantRIO for control instead of Rockwell's contrologix processor and I/O?

It is not a matter of 'could' or 'couldn't', it is about which approach would lead you to the desired goal in the shortest and the easiest way. You could write your own C++ code for a PC from scratch to do what others would do with CLX or NI. However, that way would hardly be either the shortest or the easiest...

The answer is: it all really depends on the application.