Monitor system via ethernet

Div

Hello, first post. Love the site and learned allot since finding it.

On to the problem I have.
I am the only maintenance mechanic at a small company with pretty much free reign. We have a box conveyor run by a Compactlogix 1749-L32E. It sends boxes to 16 diverts to packing stations. Very basic stuff. When there is a jam or motor fault it sounds a horn and lights a light on the control panel no matter where the jam is or which motor faulted. The maintenance shop is on the floor below and I cannot hear the horn when a fault occurs, not to mention the fact that I have to walk the system to see where it occured.

I am looking for a way to monitor the system from the shop. I have looked at Advanced HMI found in these forums but am unclear whether it will connect and play well with a compactlogix. (something like that would allow me to monitor individual jam sensors) The PLC is not on the network but I can run a network cable to the shop without any trouble. I have access to PC's and sofware as our IT department is very helpfull and not budget conciuos. The production department is another story. No budget for hardware such as a panelview or hardware HMI. I don't need to control anything, just monitor.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

You mention you have a light that flashes. You may be able to modify the light so it flashes different patterns depending on where the jam is.

If you can hook up your laptop/desktop to the processor, you could use RS-5000 to monitor it.

"I have access to PC's and sofware as our IT department is very helpfull and not budget conciuos." Drool.

Anyway, howabout the free HMI software that Nathan mention in this thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=52710
You could set it up on any available PC that you have in the shop.
I think Nathan also talked about an integrated driver for AB PLCs.
Not sure if there are any constraints for connecting the PC to the company LAN and the Compactlogix at the same time. If there are any problems, you can always add an extra LAN card in the PC at a neglible cost.

I am looking for a way to monitor the system from the shop. I have looked at Advanced HMI found in these forums but am unclear whether it will connect and play well with a compactlogix. (something like that would allow me to monitor individual jam sensors)
Currently AdvancedHMI doesn't support CompactLogix over ethernet. However you can get it to work over RS232. You have to go into RS5000 and map tags to SLC/PLC style addressing.

modify the light so it flashes different patterns
I would have to change the code in the PLC, which I don't want to do.
howabout the free HMI software that Nathan mention in this thread
It looks like I would have to set up a server, but I will look into it more.
Currently AdvancedHMI doesn't support CompactLogix over ethernet
Dang, I was hoping it would. Would have solved my problem in a heartbeat. I don't think I can run a couple hundred feet of RS232 can I? LOL

It looks like I would have to set up a server, but I will look into it more.
The software is a server. However, the limitation of the free version is amongst other things that only one client can run and it must be on the PC itself. However that should be OK for your application.

In case there is confusion the product mentioned by Jesper and Oakley is a different product to the one mentioned by Archie

Archie and Suferb have interesting links attached to there pages they are worth a look.

I am looking at Automation's Ignition, but holy macherel, it's gonna take allot of reading to come close to setting something up. That's what I get for opening my mouth, LOL.

Just for informations sake
You have to go into RS5000 and map tags to SLC/PLC style addressing
Archie, is that in the PLC. While on-line, have it map the tags in the program thats running, because I don't want to mess with whats running. Monitor, yes, convert, change, no. Maybe I'm just not up to speed to be doing something like this.

Thanks all for the help. I'll let you know what comes of this little project.

Just for informations sake Archie, is that in the PLC. While on-line, have it map the tags in the program thats running, because I don't want to mess with whats running. Monitor, yes, convert, change, no. Maybe I'm just not up to speed to be doing something like this.
Unfortunately it will probably take a few small additions to the PLC program. In RS5000 in the Logix menu, there is a Map SLC/PLC Messages option. The way that I have done it is to create a tag array, then map it to something like N7. Then add some rungs that will stuff the values into the array elements. AdvancedHMI can then read the values as if it were a SLC, such as N7:0

I haven't used it a lot, so maybe there are some experts on here that could tell how to do it as an online change without adding to the PLC program.

One solution might be: Buy a 2nd monitor, (maybe even a nice 60" plasma =) Get one of those "KVM Extenders" that allows you to put a monitor (and mouse and keybd) up to 300ft away from the host computer. Put a Y splitter in between the computer and monitor that you would normally use to find the jam and hook your KVM extender to the computer.
Use these to just remote the screen with the jam data to a place closer to where you want to see it. a 60" big screen might even be visible from a distance (and would be cool around Super Bowl time =)

If the logic just says "Jam" and doesnt tell you where, you are gonna either have to run Logix on your computer (all the time) to find the actual jam location or mess with the program.

Another Idea -
Maybe install a few cameras, looking down the rows of conveyors, (heck, cheap webcams might work here...) easy to view anyhere on the ethernets, easy to install/troubleshoot and no messing with PLC's required. They even sell Pan/Tile webcams that you can control over the ethernet also (IT can help set these up so that the video does NOT go out over the internet- normally pretty simple to do.

Try DataPort www.webdock.net. If you can get a communications cable to the processor you are set. With DataPort you can view your system from any computer on the network that has a web browser. You can download a free version at www.webdock.net DataPort allows you to collect, store, export and graph all your data. Use DataPort's built in web server to distribute and view production data anywhere on your network. You can create custom reports and control who can access and view information. DataPort will automatically send an email containing production information whenever you want. For example, every morning at 7:00AM send you last shifts productions stats or have DataPort send you an email whenever a PLC or other OPC device triggers an event. Easy database support for Microsoft SQL and Access databases. DataPort automatically creates all database structures so you can start collecting data without knowing anything about databases. DataPort will also export your data from the database to Microsoft Excel on command or you can schedule exports whenever you want. You do not have to have Microsoft Access for DataPort to create and log to a Microsoft Access database.