PLC to FTview through Router

corollace

Hi,

we have 2 stations:

1: PLC, RSlinx and FTview have been installed within private network with IP address: 192.168.1.x;

2. another station has another FTView in different private network: 192.168.2.x

all of them are behind the Router, but the routers could access internet. My question: how could the second FTview access PLC data via Rslinx in the first place.

Thanks,

Routing data from one network to another is a router's entire role in life.

Your systems might not be on separate networks at all; when the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 they will be on different networks, but the network subnet mask might be 255.255.0.0 or other. Post the actual full IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway of your two PCs.

A typical IP configuration for a controller or a computer includes a "default gateway". That's the IP address of the router. The router then sends the data over to the other network and returns the reply.

You're going to have to learn about the functionality of the router in your network. It sounds like it might be a simple firewall or NAT router like you'd use between a private network and the Internet, rather than a general-purpose router that can connect one network to another.

Post more information about the router.

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply,

I've been doing some testing in my office, my setup like below:

I have one computer(called testing computer) installed RSlinx, ip: 10.50.12.122, 255.255.255.0 and gateway:10.50.12.1

my laptop: 10.50.1.127, 255.255.255.0, gateway: 10.50.1.1

my laptop has RSlins gateway installed. Then I could run "OPC DATA TEST" on testing computer to get data through my laptop Rslinx gateway.

But when I contected one router to my laptop(the ip became: 192.168.1.100), and connect the router to the network 10.50.1.177. I forwarded the port 135 and tried DMZ as well. I could not connect from testing computer to my latptop RSlinx gateway server.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Your description is hard to follow; I don't know what equipment you mean when you refer to "one router" then "the router" and "the network".

It sounds to me like your "router" is in fact a firewall and is doing exactly what it is supposed to do: blocking all access from the WAN side to the LAN side.

The first thing you need to do is specify the make and model of each of the routers in your system. Be specific.

sorry for confusing,

the router is "WRT54GL" for testing in my office.
I know the router is doing his job, but it's what we are trying to break through. I could see the data flow from the testing coumpter to my laptop, but the OPC test could not see the data.

I am wondering because of the DCOM things, it seems that hard to do the DCOM through the router (normally have firewall built in).

Thanks.

Your description is hard to follow; I don't know what equipment you mean when you refer to "one router" then "the router" and "the network".

It sounds to me like your "router" is in fact a firewall and is doing exactly what it is supposed to do: blocking all access from the WAN side to the LAN side.

The first thing you need to do is specify the make and model of each of the routers in your system. Be specific.