RSLogix 5000 v 17 and DriveExecutive

Hello, I have RSLogix 5000 v 17 Standard. While DriveExecutive (Lite?) is included with this package, when I go to install it, I notice the message that "DriveExecutive is required only for users of v10 through v15". So I want to know for sure if I really do need DE or not.

Ultimately, I want to control the drive from my ControlLogix 5561 controller using Ethernet/IP. I have the drives set up with their IP addresses, and I can browse to each drive's 20-COMM-E module using a web browser just fine. I would have expected to be able to configure everything about the drive through the web pages, but apparently not.

So to get to the core of my question: should I be able to configure all parameters of the drive via RSLogix using the Drive Parameter List screen (Page 4-10 of the 20-COMM-E Ethernet/IP Adapter User Manual), or should I install DriveExecutive?

Thanks,

So you are communicating with a PF70/700 series? You do not need drive executive to make those work. The only thing that drive executive is good for is saving drive parameters into a file. I believe you can configure PF70's parameters right in RSLogix 5k.

DE can be a handy thing, but not required. We typically use it if we have drives on a network to save a copy of all drive parameters on our machine. It's and easy way to document parameters. So when a customer of ours calls, we can refer to them easily.

Thanks for the info. I can connect now and see all of the paramters for some of the drives, but not others. Some of the drives have the wrong firmware, so now I am tring to see how to upgrade those. Would that be done through RSLogix as well, or with another utility? or, should I dumb down my RSLogix controller file to match the drive's firmware?

Thanks you,

Last edited:
You know, we are too cheap for those fancy drives so I don't have a ton of experience with them. We typically use PF4/40 drives. Those are not user upgradeable. It's a super pain when we have standard devicenet configurations and the firmwares come in different all the time.

Maybe the 70 class are, I'm not sure. If you can, it would most likely be done through Control Flash (a utility that comes bundled with Logix5000). If you have a contract, you could search through their firmware upgrades.

How about this one: Can I use RSLogix to connect to a drive and create a database file from it, or would I need to use DE for that?

Right now, I need to add a Powerflex 70 EC 480V 14A drive to my Ethernet modules list, but I cannot find that entry when I go to Select a module.

I would not be able to say for sure as I've only dealt with 70 class drive one time a while ago. I believe that to save the parameters outside of RSLogix 5k, you would need DE.

So in RSLogix5k, if you find your ethernet module in the I/O tree, expand it to see the ethernet bus, the right click and select new module. Under Drives, you should find PowerFlex 70 EC-E. Try this out and see what results you get. Do you have the drive in a position to connect to?

RSLogix has DE integrated into it (as far as I've read).

The problem that I had (sounds the same) is that I had 64A drives connected then I went to add a 180A drive. I created the drive beforehand and since 64A was the only choice it is what I used. When I connected the drive showed a fault. I went offline on the PLC then I was able to change the drive to a 180A drive (option was not previously there) and then when I reloaded the program I could connect to the drive and no faults.

I cannot remember if I had to download the EDS file for the drive amperage to get connection. Hopefully someone that is more experienced will help and straighten everything out with an explanation.

Firmware can also be an issue. We received a replacement drive with 6.002 instead of 4.010, so I flashed with controlflash the drive to 4.010 then it would connect straight away.

All the above is for Powerflex 700 drives, ControlLogix L61 and programmed with RS5000 V15 when I did it

Last edited:
I went offline on the PLC then I was able to change the drive to a 180A drive (option was not previously there) and then when I reloaded the program I could connect to the drive and no faults.

Do remember what you did to make this happen? I read that it should be possible to create a new entry in the drives database by reading information from the drive itself, and then it should become available as a module within Logix5000. But I haven't been able to make this work.

Do remember what you did to make this happen? I read that it should be possible to create a new entry in the drives database by reading information from the drive itself, and then it should become available as a module within Logix5000. But I haven't been able to make this work.

Thats what I did... its slightly coming back. I didn't update the EDS, the PLC grabbed the new amperage from the drive. I needed to go offline to change the amperage of the drive then go back online for it to be applied.

You have to do this when changing datalinks but there is a work around that doesn't require re-uploading the PLC program.

Hi Guys
We are trying to connect powerflex753 to our control logix.
firmware is V16 and when I go to add new module and click drives there is no 753 availabe. I see this is available on V18 but cannot upgrade as V18 will not support our L55 processor.
How do I get Powerflex 753 on my module list?

Hi Guys
We are trying to connect powerflex753 to our control logix.
firmware is V16 and when I go to add new module and click drives there is no 753 availabe. I see this is available on V18 but cannot upgrade as V18 will not support our L55 processor.
How do I get Powerflex 753 on my module list?

You need to create a new thread instead of interrupting one that is already in progress. This will make it easier for people to help both the original poster and you.