View Timer accumulator bits

todster

Is there a way to view all the bits in the timer accumulator?
The person that programmed our PLC 5's has a timer with the preset at 32767 at .01 and uses the done bit to reset it. The program uses that one single timer for the flashers and a host of other things and sets the intervals to the bit level I.E.. T24:0.acc/6 which would give .63 seconds on and .63 seconds off .. bit 8=2.56 seconds so on, so forth. Some of the guys are having a hard time comprehending this so I thought if I could show them the bits changing as it counted they could grasp the concept better. Some of them are a BIT challenged. So far the only way I've found is through the Trends and set each one up with a 0 second interval.

see if this helps ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=43044&postcount=4

I find it easiest to demonstrate the concept by drawing a grid/chart showing the conversions from "decimal" to "binary bits" - and then pointing out the easy to remember pattern that many (most?) people never notice ...

feel free to call if you have questions ... my typing time is limited right now - but talking time is available ...

and to answer your specific question: yes, you can view the bits in the timer's accumulator - by MOVing the accumlator to an unused integer (N-type) location ... the integer can be displayed as a "binary" radix - and the individual bits will be visible ...

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. Detailed answers as usual.
If I could remember something I did 3 days ago I'd be happy, let alone something I posted 6 years ago.

You could also MOV the timer .ACC to an unused word in the B file just to demonstrate it and then watch it in the B file data monitor.

One suggestion however, resetting the timer at 32767 can cause a slight hic-up in timing every 327 seconds. depending on how you are using it you probably wouldn't notice it, but if you do see any timing anomalies then reset on an even number instead, eg, 32766.

Creating a free running timer this way is a pretty common thing.

The timer is fine. It's mostly used just for flashers at different flash intervals. The CDM was a thought however the updates on the CDM in RS5 tend to be slow or inconsistent.
I'll try the MOV if I can find a spare word in there.