Serial com with PV1000 color and monochrome

Bobbias

I've got a couple PV1000 (series C) panels, both color and non, and neither of them seem connectable. They're from old projects my company did before I got here, and we're trying to see which ones work (hopefully all of them) so we can see if we can sell them or not.

Anywway, I'm trying to connect to them, and can't get connected. One of them is apparently set for RIO access, and the other, we can't even get into the configuration screens (one of the other guys here said something about it relying in the PLC to send it a list of screens?)

Is there a way I can either clear off the screen's current program without connecting, or is there another way to connect to these?

When I use RSLinx to try to connect to them, in the Configure Driver menu (After selecting DS1-RS232 driver) I try the autoconfigure, but it just says to check the cable and such.

Ok, I've got the information:
Monochrome
Cat: 2711-T10G8X
Ser: C
Rev: C
FRN: 4.43

Color:
Cat: 2711-T10C1
Ser: A
Rev: B
FRN: 3.01

The color is the one set for RIO. We can get to the network settings page on that one, but all that we can change is the baud rate.

On the monochrome, we can't even press the screens button to change screens from the main program screen.

We're trying to connect to both through the DF1 driver, with a straight through serial cable.

Last edited:
Just as an afterthought, if I can't get serial connections, would it be possible to use the other communication port (that modular one, looks like DH+ or whatever, labeled as RIO on the back of one). I don't know much about communicating with PVs, but I did get pass through working (sorta) a short while ago with a PV600 (I believe) over DH+.

(I didn't just stick this in an edit because I wanted to make sure that anyone following this thread sees this.)

Its possible that the AUX/Printer port (RS232 port) is set -up for a printer if so then you will not be able to connect to upload/download a program. See PDF below for a how-to get to the configuration screen. Then you can change the RS232 port if necessary.

Or use a memory card to upload a new program.

I don't have a memory card.

I booted the Monochrome one and got into the configuration screen. It is apparently set up for use with a printer. I didn't see anywhere to change it back to RS232 though.

I don't have a memory card.

I booted the Monochrome one and got into the configuration screen. It is apparently set up for use with a printer. I didn't see anywhere to change it back to RS232 though.

Push the Printer Setup button. Then look for button labeled "Print Mode".

Last edited:
Alright, I have the printing disabled. RSLinx still can't see it when I try to do an autoconfigure.

When RSLinx browses the network, I receive a message that says "Node 1 not found" along with Node 31 found (which is what I have the computer set to right now). I've also set the computer as node 00. That didn't help any.

Last edited:
Alright, I have the printing disabled. RSLinx still can't see it when I try to do an autoconfigure.

When RSLinx browses the network, I receive a message that says "Node 1 not found" along with Node 31 found (which is what I have the computer set to right now). I've also set the computer as node 00. That didn't help any.

That sounds like you are using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver (DH485) you should be using the DF1 driver ( RS232 DF1 Devices).

What driver are you using?

Are you sure about the cable , being straight thru?

Last edited:
I'm using the one from the drop down menu DF1 RS232. COM 1, Device is set to SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView (or something like that). I've matched the communication on the driver settings to the settings on the PV, fo all the good that's done me. As for the number, I'm referring to the spot in the driver configuration window that is labeled Station Number or something.

It does show up as DF1 DH485 etc. in the list of drivers after I'm finished configuring it though. That has me a little confused. Is there a way toi make sure it doesn't use DH485?

I'm using the one from the drop down menu DF1 RS232. COM 1, Device is set to SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView (or something like that). I've matched the communication on the driver settings to the settings on the PV, fo all the good that's done me. As for the number, I'm referring to the spot in the driver configuration window that is labeled Station Number or something.

It does show up as DF1 DH485 etc. in the list of drivers after I'm finished configuring it though. That has me a little confused. Is there a way toi make sure it doesn't use DH485?

That's the right driver. Is it the only one configured?

Are you using a real serial port? Or USB adapter?

I'm using a real serial port. It's not the only one configured. The other one is one of the PCMK card ones, but it's currently completely borked to the point that configuring it, trying to stop, or delete it, results in a BSOD (that's something else I need to figure out how to fix). It didn't affect things when I had a SLC5/04 connected via that DF1 driver, nor when I had the PV600.

Ok, I running out of ideas. Double check your straight thru cable.

As for the PCMK driver, this should not be interfering with your serial port.
If you uncheck the autobrowse button you should then be able to delete the PCMK driver. BSOD is usually caused by having the wrong device type configued.

Well, the card is no longer in the computer (We had thought the card was no good, when that was happening)

The cable IS missing a couple wires, but IIRC they're just the signal control pins (I'll have to check when I get some more free time).