Problem saving Logix 500 file

shoelesscraig

Ok, so yesterday I saw a new one (for me anyways). I'm writing a program that I've been working on for the last few weeks. I always make a habit of clicking save every few minutes so that I don't lose any work (overkill I know b/c of the backup files, but it makes me feel better). Everything was going along fine. I took a break and came back a little while later and it would no longer let me save. It would pop up a small window (and I forget the exact wording that it used) and basically told me that it could not save. Didn't say why, just said it couldn't. So, I went to the "edit" menu and verified the project...it says "NO ERRORS FOUND". I was at a loss! I went back and tried deleting some of the last bit of code that I had written to make sure it wasn't something in that, but no cigar. I ended up having to just exit without saving and lose a little bit of work, thankfully it wasn't much and I re-wrote it quickly. After that it let me save with no problem again.

Any ideas?

Where was the original program located? On the local hard drive or network via mapped drive? I've had similar problems when working on a project opened directly from a network drive.

Where was the original program located? On the local hard drive or network via mapped drive? I've had similar problems when working on a project opened directly from a network drive.

+1

We have found that if you are working off of a networked drive and it disconnects temporarily, you are screwed. Even if it reconnects. It won't even let you save it to the local drive.

I have come across this many times, usually when access to the file you have open is lost somehow. I no longer work off of network drives, memory sticks, etc.

Sometimes you can export to L5K file and save your work, or open up an old file or create a new one and copy / paste everything into it. Sometimes you are just plain SOL.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, did you try doing a "Save As" and renaming the file?

I've also had issues when the the file was on a network drive, especially if I'm moving about the plant and using a wireless network - but in those cases "Save As" worked.

It was on a network drive. Maybe I should re-think doing that from now on. And no, I did not try doing a "Save As" and renaming it something else. I'll give that a shot if it happens again. I can't just save it to the hard drive on that machine because it is a computer that is used by multiple maintenance techs. I don't want them accidentally losing my stuff. I do have a flash drive, but I also hate to put all my eggs in that basket in case it ever stopped working or I lost it. It looks like constant backing up and saving are the keys to solving this.

Last edited:
In the Tools => Options section you can specify a Secondary Save location. Perhaps set the primary as your local hard drive and the network as the secondary location.

Just a thought...

OG

In the Tools => Options section you can specify a Secondary Save location. Perhaps set the primary as your local hard drive and the network as the secondary location.

Just a thought...

OG

I thought about this, but I'm not sure how it will affect Logix 500 when we take the computer out into the plant and it is no longer on the network (it is not wireless). I don't know if it will cause problems or not. Plus, you have to be logged in as ME in order to access my drive on the network. If another user was logged in as them, that "secondary" location wouldn't be available to them. Not sure if it'll work. Guess I'll try and find out.

i always work off the c drive when programing, just habit from when that was all i had when i started programing back then. the boss where i work now has messed a few programs up working from the network drive and wirlessly conected to it and the plc and had a conection blip with the wireless. i always hard wire to the plc network when i hook up to a processor just to be safe. we have ports in all of out plc cabinets and ac power for a laptop for when it is needed.

charles

🔨🍺