Camera for machine diagnosis

Plc_User

I know this question maybe tends rather more to IT then automation, but I'll ask it anyway. I already did some plc-projects in abroad, and sometimes I had to discuss a problem over the phone or by mail. Afterwards I considered that If had been at the place of the machine I could have solved the problem within some minutes while now it took me hours, even days. A solution could be to have a camera on site. Do you have experience with some kind of webcams that provide a good sharp view of a part of a machine, that is not too expensive, and that gives fast transmission of views. Are there types that are wireless, so someone can put it where the problem on the machine is?

Thanks

The simplest answer is the camera on someones mobile phone, they take a picture and send it to you.

If you have an internet connected LAN on or near the machine that you can log in to, then you need to Google 'IP camera'. Typically look at AXIS, scroll down the page for pictures of each camera. You can get fixed or Pan, Tilt, Zoom PTZ. You can get wireless versions but they still need a power supply. You do need to be aware that video uses a fair bit of bandwidth so it depends on the speed of the internet connection. With an IP camera you just point an internet browser at the IP address of the camera. You also get it to send video or stills on receipt of digital input, so whenever a particular alarm go active you get a video of the problem.

Bryan

My answer that comes to mind is use "Skype" Video, its what i use to keep in contact with family overseas, and on most occasions the voice and video are in synch, and allows me to lip read.

This may be somewhat off topic, but several years ago I saw an industrial DVR system. It was wired to the control system, and it was constantly recording from multiple cameras. When an event occurred, the operator was able to review the video prior to the event, or save it or e-mail it. It was an excellent troubleshooting tool especially on higher-speed machines.

If you Google "Industrial DVR" you should come back with quite a few hits.

oops, better yet

This may be somewhat off topic, but several years ago I saw an industrial DVR system. It was wired to the control system, and it was constantly recording from multiple cameras. When an event occurred, the operator was able to review the video prior to the event, or save it or e-mail it. It was an excellent troubleshooting tool especially on higher-speed machines.

If you Google "Industrial DVR" you should come back with quite a few hits.

Sadly, I don't remember the manufacturer, but I have seen a portable digital camera, with attached microphone, that you can move around and 'show' a remote-connected person what you see. You could do the same with skype, of course, and a wireless USB camera.