Step 7 Strings Conversions

ThePortLion

Hi guys

This is similar to a thread i had recently but i'll go anyway.
I have set up an s7 connection between two S7 317-2 Dp.
I am using the PUT function to perform the data transfer.

The problem is that PUT will not process STRING data types. I tried converting the STRING to DINT on one end and
reconverting it (DINT to STRING) on the other end but all i get is manure.

Is it possible to convert a string and recover it after a reconversion (relatively easily) in Step 7?

When you assign parameters to the PUT function, you specify where the string is in the DB, along with the length in bytes (this is known as an ANY pointer) and takes the form:

P#DB1.DBX10.0 BYTE 20

e.g. PUT will transfer 20 bytes from DB1 starting at byte 10

You can create the ANY pointer at run time if you wish.

Something like this : ?
Code:
      CALL  "PUT" , "PUT_DB"
       REQ   :=M0.0
       ID    :=W#16#1 // connection ID defined in NetPro
       DONE  :=M0.1
       ERROR :=M0.2
       ADDR_1:=P#DB5.DBX 0.0 BYTE 42 // must be 2 bytes bigger than the STRING
       SD_1  :="MyStrings".string1 // string1 = STRING[40]