ABB IRC5 FlexPendant & Fanuc Robot Comparison

aiki202

Does anyone have experience with ABB IRC5 controllers with the Flex Pendant? I have some basic questions about jogging this unit. I am quite familiar with Fanuc and Motoman robots/controllers but new to ABB. This unit uses a joystick for jogging. My question is does the ABB model allow for rotating about the x, y & z axes like Fanuc & Motoman units do?

Thanks

My question is does the ABB model allow for rotating about the x, y & z axes like Fanuc & Motoman units do?
Yes, you select which mode you want and use the joystick as per the RBT keys of the motoman pendant

Rotation works the same except using the joystick direction i.e
1.North/South
2.East/West
3.Twist CW/CCW

I'm not a fan of the IRC5 to be honest,prefer Motoman XRC/NX
i can get round the XRC pendant very quickly.

Any major ABB programming is done in Robotstudio, the pendant is way too slow!

Thanks for the reply!

Any major ABB programming is done in Robotstudio, the pendant is way too slow!

I have also heard this. I suppose I will find out soon enough. Trying to keep an open mind.

If I were to program with the pendant, do you just move to a point and save it (again like Fanuc & Motoman) or is it more complicated? I have been told you need to save every position then write the program and use all of the positions you saved; in other words double the work? Fanuc & Motoman offer position registers but you do not have to use them as you well know.

Thanks

Yes each movement line has a positional variable,you dont have to program this way but it can be useful for instance;

define Home,standoff positions,service,calibration,weldstart/end etc
then when you insert a line you can pick each from a list of positional variables quickly. if you start a new task(program) then you can use them over & over.

The program language (Rapid) is alot different to motoman and much more powerful.

have a look here - they have a ABB forum:
http://www.robot-forum.com/robotforum/